Part 121

At 7pm I call everyone through for dinner, Jack comes barging in, rushing before everyone else and grabs the big clock off the wall, he changes the time to 10.45pm.

"Bro what the fuck?" Ben appears looking confused as Jack replaces the clock.

Jack checks that Mia hasn't arrived yet, "we promised moo she could stay up until midnight and she bloody knows wot midnight looks like on the clock! So now she can 'ave her tea then do a countdown with us and let off some party poppers before bed, I've got some sparklers too"

Ben looks like he's just been given the most amazing information in the world. "Bro, you're a genius!"

"It's not my idea, it's wot my parents did f'years when they wanted to get pissed afta we went to bed!" He grins, and I know he's proud of himself, he's put a lot of effort into making this seem real to Mia. He's got a countdown set up from last year that someone has edited so the year says 2023 ready to play on the TV.

"Told you, dad of the year" Layla whispers next to me.
Mia loves sitting up at the table with us all and tries very hard to join in with all conversations which thankfully stay child friendly and Ben does an amazing job of looking interested the twentieth time Mia shows him she knows the alphabet.
As our clock shows 11.55pm Jack ensures everyone has a glass of bubbly, he goes to great pains to ensure that Mia doesn't see the sparkling grape juice he pours into a glass for her, and she's bedside herself at being given the same drink as the adults.

"Mama I'm gonna get drunk ain't I?"

"Not too drunk I hope moo, don't wanna bad head in mornin' like ya mommy d'ya?" Jack laughs with her as he sets the TV and gives out the party poppers.

We all count down together, even Esme and Alfie getting excited.

10, 9, 8, 7, Jack lifts Mia into his arms 6, 5, 4, he puts his free arm around me as I hold Esme, and I wonder if I should remind him it isn't really midnight......3, 2, 1!

"HAPPY NEW YEAR!"

the poppers go off and we all hug as the fireworks start on the TV, and it feels like it may as well be the real thing. I cling onto Jack, our babies in our arms my perfect little family.
"Happy news years! Mammy and daddy and Essie!" Mia squeals, her little arms around both our necks. I look into his grinning face

"This was the best idea baby"

"Told ya! I do 'ave 'em sometimes!"

We take all the kids to bed after they've done the sparklers on the patio, and of course everyone plays along with Mia being drunk and apparently passing out on the stairs, by the time they are all settled and the adults re-group it's still not even 10pm.

"Jack that was genius, we're stealing that idea" Sian states as they sit down, she's the only sober one left, she had grape juice with Mia, insisting on holding out for the real midnight for her one long awaited glass of bubbly.
I clock the empties building up on the kitchen island, surely we can't have drunk that much already, I look around and Ben and Layla are looking cosy and actually quite amorous on the cuddle chair together, Jack is being loud and playful with Chris showing him something on his phone and I realise I actually do feel rather tipsy. I head over to jack and Chris and plonk myself in Jacks lap, his strong arms wrap around me immediately as he kisses my neck "alright bab?"

"Perfect" I confirm looking at what Jack and Chris are looking at, Jack angles his phone away from me and I see his thumb swipe away across the screen.
"Noooo, show me"

"Nah, not the time bab, later"

Chris nods "yeah not suitable really for current company" he agrees quietly.