Part 40

Aston Villa are back in the Premier League after beating Derby 2-1

It's ringing in everyone's ears, being screamed around the stadium. Wembley is half empty after the Derby fans leave, but the villa fans are standing strong, singing and celebrating.

I watch Jack collect the trophy (and nearly take his eye out when Ginny gets a bit enthusiastic and the trophy crashes into Jacks head)

I watch Jack celebrate on the pitch with his teammates. Huge bottle of champagne in his hand, medal around his neck, trophy at his side.
Singing along with the fans. He's eurphic.
This is literally everything he dreamed his whole life for.

Eventually the fans start to trickle out and the players are given the nod that it's ok to go and quickly see their families before they retire to the dressing room.

Jack is a hot sweaty mess, he comes straight to me and immediately spins me around in a huge embrace "we've done it Chels! We've only fuckin' done it! Back in the premier league, I swear I'm gonna make ya so fuckin' proud of me!" He's crying tears of sheer joy and he mistakes my tears for happiness too.

Finally he trudges off to the changing room with the rest of the team, yet more press await them before they will finally get some well deserved time to regroup privately.

I head up to the lounge with the rest of the families. Karen keeps trying to catch my eye.
But I just can't do it.
I can't look her in the eye today.

***

Eventually the players join us freshly washed and changed into their matching travel clothing to an outrageous standing ovation from their friends and family.

The champagne is flowing freely and the mood is pure party.

Except me.

Jack is bursting next to me "this is it Chels, this is it, I can stay at Villa now if I want and still probably get called up to the senior England team, fuck, Chels we done it! It's the euros next year! I could be playin' in the fuckin' euros! An' you'll be the fuckin' hottest wag of the lot, I tell ya now, you're gonna be the hottest fuckin' wag in the premier league" his voice is hoarse and sexy, but his words sicken me, so he wants to show me off, but still fuck around whenever presented with the chance.

My stomach flips at the realisation of just how many more chances he will get now he'll be on TV playing top flight football week in week out.
He looks like the boy next door, he looks like the type of boy you can take home to your nan.
My nan would have loved him.
He's got the charm, the looks and the banter.
But he can't keep it in his pants.
Fresh tears spring to my eyes at the thought of my nan.
If she was still alive she'd fucking make earings out of his balls, that's the kind of woman she was.

Jack mistakes my tears for happy tears again
"I swear you're gonna live like a fuckin' queen Chels"

I notice he says 'live like' and not something like 'I'll treat you like a queen'

He fucking knows what he is doing.

Only a weak woman would stay and put up with him.

I'm not weak.
I am the same as my nan. She swooped in and removed me from my parents when they didn't treat me right and she sure as hell wouldn't have me put up with a man that doesn't treat me right.

I won't put up with it.

Jack tops up everyone's glasses he puts his arm around me and kisses my cheek.

Jack doesn't see the look I give him.
But Karen does. I watch her brush a tear away and I know she's not crying happy tears either.

***