Part 61

AUTHOR NOTE
Total fabrication here with the Euros and transfer talk and timings. 😘
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After an absolutely amazing dinner, I'm sitting in a comfy lounge area next to Layla, across the low coffee table Ben and Jack are sitting opposite us.

Ben is playing with Mia, holding her by her waist and lifting her up above his head like she's flying.

The giggles soon turn to hiccups "careful Ben she ate loads at dinner" I warn.

Ben smiles at Mia "is mummy boring? You're having fun with your fairy-god-father hey?"

Jack bursts out laughing at that.

"God father?" Asks Layla incredulously "when did that happen!?"

"No, they've not had her christened" Ben stops her sulk before it starts "but, if she was, I would be, right Jacky?"

"Yeah o'course ya would be" Jack agrees instantly, like it goes without saying that Ben would be her godfather.

"What even over your brother?" I ask him

He looks at me like I've got two heads "yeah, me brothers me brother? He don't need to be a godfather, that'd defo be Ben"

"You sound like you've thought about this" I say quietly.

"Yeah, nah, I mean well it's jus' obvious, if we did get her christened, I'd want Ben to be one of her godfathers, like I know it'd be a joint decision like, but obviously Ben is me obvious choice"

"Do you want to get her christened" I ask. This has never ever come up in discussion between us.

Out of the corner of my eye I spot Ben whose still holding Mia make big eyes at Layla, it's a look that says 'wish I hadn't said anything now'

Jack is still considering his answer.
I know that when Jack has to consider an answer it's because he knows his initial first reaction might not be the right one.

"You do" I answer for him.

"It might be summat me moms brought up a few times"

"She's never mentioned it me"

"Well, yeah, nah, she wouldn't would she, but well they're, I mean we're, me family like, we're Catholic ain't we so, y'know......"

"Yeah but your not religious" actually I doubt that as soon as I say it, there are crosses and religious pictures dotted around the Grealish family home.

"Me mom goes to church sometimes.......we all went to Catholic school....." Jack half shrugs, I hear Layla stifle a laugh next to me but I ignore her.
"It's jus' wot ya brought up with innit?" He finishes.

Layla interrupts " - sorry but Jack I have no idea how many girls I've slept with, regularly has sex in club toilets" Jack shoots her a look then, and I know she's referring to nights out she's been on with Ben and Jack when I was pregnant, when we wheren't at all together. "Takes two girls on the same date and gets holiday romances pregnant, then cheats on her Grealish, is a Catholic fucking schoolboy?"

Jack looks down, knowing that there's no untruths in what Layla has just said, Ben hides a laugh under the pretence of kissing the back of Mia's head.

I look between Jack and Layla and feel bad that the tone has turned. All Jack has done has made sure we've had a lovely day and it's turned into a personal attack on him.

"Ben why did you have to say anything?" I smile, trying to lighten the mood.

Jack sits forward and takes my hand across the table. He looks me in the eye and when he talks, his voice is low, serious, genuine and compassionate.
"I know your family and childhood has been massively different to mine, I know it's not something you'd have considered, and as her mom it comes down to you anyway and me mom knows that too. But yeah, in terms of me mates like that I would trust with Mia, Ben's the top, like you an' the girls y'know?"