Part 45

Baby Tracker 👶
10 months old 🗓️

December

Wednesday

I wake up and it's absolutely freezing. I climb out of bed, oh my god so cold!
I feel the radiator, stone cold.

I check on Mia, she's sleeping peacefully but I put an extra blanket over her.

I go downstairs and check the boiler. The flame has gone out.

Fuck sake I grumble, that's all I need.

As soon as the site office opens I'm on the phone asking for someone to come out and at 9.20am there's a knock on my door.

I open the door to the workman standing there in his work combats and polo shirt. I get a shock when my eyes stop at his face.

"Craig!"

"Oh my god! Chelsea! You alright? Wow I haven't seen you for years!"

"No, not since college!" I hug him, "come in, come in" I lead him through to the kitchen.

"So you're living here?"

"Yeah, obviously!" I laugh

"I'm the maintenance manager!" I look at him in his work clothes, he's definitely bulked out the last few years, his biceps would give Jacks a run for their money, I find myself wishing his trousers were a bit tighter so I could measure up his legs.....

"But you still get your hands dirty, or am I just lucky?"

He laughs "got to keep my hand in hey"

Mia crawls through from the lounge at that point.

"Ah and whose this little beauty?"

I pick her up "this is Mia" I grin.

"She's beautiful" he addresses Mia "you looking forward to your first Christmas sweetheart?" She gives him a big gummy grin.

"You got any kids?" I ask him.

"Nah, nah not me, so you married? Settled?"

"Single, do you want a cuppa?"

"Yeah, please Chels" he starts taking the front of the boiler and getting to work.

"Didn't work out with her dad then no?"

"Craig you're being very forward!" I laugh.

"I'm just being nosey, it's good to see you!"

We both attended the same first aid course a few years back and had got on.

"Dad anyone I know?"

"Craig! No, he lives in Birmingham actually"

"What you doing mixing with someone from there?" He jokes.

I feel comfortable talking to Craig, it doesn't feel like I've not chatted with him for 3 years.
"It's a bit cringe"

"Go on, looks like I'm gonna be here a while" he says from underneath the cupboard.

I tell him about my failed holiday romance story, leaving out the details of Jack's job, and his cheating.

Craig tells me that he had been living with someone for the last two years, but they recently drifted apart.

When he's finished fixing the boiler he sits at the table with me and we continue chatting over another cup of tea.
He's a natural with Mia, I can feel myself blushing when we make eye contact. It's nice to have a conversation with someone that is making me feel good about myself, that isn't Jack.