Part 96

Wednesday
A week on from the accident and Jack can leave the hospital.

He's starting to get back to feeling himself slowly, he's very sore from the physical bruising still and still suffering with headaches, but for the most part it's just a waiting game now to be ok to fly. The swelling on his brain is finally going down well now . Ed has told us we'll probably be out here for another 3 or 4 weeks though.

I speak to the travel company Jack uses and hire a large 6 bedroom villa a short drive from the hospital for us to stay in while Jack recovers.

Ed decides to fly his own wife over and enjoy the Ibiza sunshine. He is adamant that he will be the one to make the decision on when Jack is fit enough to fly and arranges to check in on Jack every day.

We get inside the villa and it's beautiful, all cool white marble and glass. We stand inside as Kevin brings the bags in.
I've got my arm around Jack's waist and I realise he's leaning extra heavily on me. "You ok baby?"

"Nah not really"

I place a hand on his tummy, "let's sit you down then" he does look peaky.

"Actually....can I jus' go to bed" I exchange a worried look with Karen, he'd been doing well at the hospital, surely the short drive can't have worn him out this much?

"You two take the bedroom down there" she points down the hall "I don't think we'll risk him on the stairs just yet"

I help him onto the bed, it's heartbreaking to see my big strong Jack so sore and broken.
He's had all kinds of scans the last few days and he has various strains and tears on different muscles.
He's going to need lots of rest.
But if we are stuck in Ibiza for the next few weeks I'm determined to make it as pleasant as possible for him. Tomorrow Karen and Kevin will fly home to sort out everything there, Karen needs to stay while Hollie, who has been with Kevan, finishes her last couple of weeks at college, but Kevin will fly straight back Friday with Kiera, Josh the girls.

By the time I finish checking around the room and opening some windows he's asleep.
I watch him for a moment, it genuinely hurts my heart to see him like this.
I can't quite shake away the thought that we were just a whisp of luck from losing him, if the car had gone a fraction faster, if it had hit him at a different angle, if he'd landed different, if he'd gone under the wheels.......and for what? Some bitch to walk away with a broken leg?
He's lucky not to be permanently brain damaged, lucky to not have sustained a career ending injury.
I'm about to leave the room when I hear him move.

"Lay with me Chels" How can I refuse?

I nestle next to him, taking care to let him snuggle into me in the position that's most comfortable for him.
I stroke his hair, I need to wash it properly for him, it was a bit of a farce in the hospital. The wet room had a tiny shower head with such low pressure it was just impossible.
I kiss the top of his head, he doesn't smell of himself. He smells of hospital and illness.
"I stink don' I?"

"no, you're ok" I tried my hardest to help him shower, but he's so weak, and the shower really was ridiculous.
"There's a huge bath in the ensuite, a soak will hopefully help you feel a bit more yourself"

"I'll neva get myself out the bath bab"

"I'll help you"

"Nah, I'm too heavy" he takes a deep breath "ya can't hurt ya back"

"Look your dad's here, between us I'm sure we can help you out of the bath"

"Thank you" he whispers, I hold him a little tighter.

"The girls will be here Friday"

"I can't wait, wot day is it?"

"Wednesday baby"