Part 39

I get home to find Jack already back from training. He's lounging on the sofa in the family room.

'Stay natural' I tell myself.

I carry Mia to him and hand her over.

"Hey there daddy's girl" he instantly starts making her giggle.

This is for her.
For her, I'm not leaving now for her.

"You're home earlier that I thought you would be?" I sit down on the other sofa.

"We had like a recovery day today. Propa training tomorrow an' Wednesday, then we are traveling to London on Thursday"

"Thursday?" I query "but the games Saturday?"

"Yeah we're staying over an extra day, an' training at a place nearby Friday, they think it will be good for us, as a team"

So I only have to be here with him until Thursday morning.
I'll still go to the game. But I'll tell him that I know what he did, and it's over as soon as the games done.

Then I'll go to Manchester. I know the house is still empty, literally empty, nothing has been done since the sale completed.
I'm hoping we can maybe stay with Jasmin while I sort the basics, but if not I'll stay in a hotel.
I'm set, I'm not coming back to this house again after the game.

I also dont want to talk to Jasmin until I'm on my way because I know she'll talk me into leaving now. The same with Sian or Layla, and I can't tell Layla anyway because she might tell Ben.

Just until Thursday morning.

"Ya alright?" Jack asks, he sounds flat, like he doesn't really care either way, or am I imagining that?

"Yeah, tired"

I watch him look at me, his eyes flick around studying my face.

"Ya look a bit pale y'know, do ya feel ok?"

Oh fuck, I'm holding back tears.

"Wots up Chels, are ya not well?" The concerm on his face his genuine. Or is it guilt?

"No, no I'm not, I really don't feel well actually Jack"

He reaches out and feels my forehead. "Ya maybe a bit warm, why don't ya go to bed Chels? I'll look afta Mia, I'll defrost some of that milk ya put in the freezer so ya won't hafta worry"

I nod, hiding in bed is better than pretending I don't want to just punch him in the face right now.

"Do ya want any lunch?"

I shake my head "I think I'll go into the spare room, don't want to risk you catching anything before Saturday"

For a moment he looks hurt, but then he agrees "yeah can't risk the captain being ill" he grins "go on, ya go up, have a bath then get in the spare bed. I'll check on ya in a bit"

***

Wednesday

I'm woken by a gentle tap on the spare bedroom door.

I spent last night in the spare room again with my fake sore throat. Jack happily in charge of Mia again for the night.

Jack was out practically all day training yesterday and will be today so if I can get tonight in the spare room too he leaves for London tomorrow.

"I'm awake" I call.

The door opens just a bit and Mias head pops around the door at at a height. I laugh which makes her giggle.

Jack follows around the door and sits on the bed handing Mia to me.

"Ya tell mommy ya slept all night for daddy hey princess, yeah ya did" she's properly laughing at him.