Part 115

The club is loud and buzzing.

We head straight to the dancefloor and lose ourselves in the crowd. There's a mix of people here, people that look like they would never normally come to a place like this, people that have been dragged in by younger colleagues.
The vibe is good though.
I catch Danielle looking around too and we hold hands and dance together when she catches me looking at her.

We soon lose the younger girls, and Danielle leads us to the bar. She appears to be looking for someone.
It's too loud to speak so I wait until we have our drinks and find a booth to sit in, she's still searching the room.
"Who are you looking for?" I ask her when we're seated.

"No one!" She grins

"Liar"

"Ok ok" she puts her hands up "I told Matt where we were going"

"You did what!?"

"I told Matt we were heading here"

"You did not! Why? Now he'll think I want him to come here!"

"Don't you?"

"No! I told you Danielle!"

"You were happy enough accepting drinks from him and dancing with him, you looked like you were enjoying his company " she shrugs.

"I did, that was innocent Christmas fun, but inviting him here sounds like he's in with a chance!"

"Is he?"

"For fuck sake no!!!"
I glare at her, I can't believe she's done this, if he comes he will definitely think he's in with a chance of something happening between us.

I feel a bolt of guilt, did I lead him on? I don't think I did, I accepted a drink after he insisted, but I was clear I was married....

"I cannot believe you!" I screach over the music.

"Oh stop over reacting, he probably won't come, come on finish your drink and we'll have another dance"

I glare at her but inside I melt a bit, she's probably right, he probably won't come.

-

Everyone on the dancefloor is starting to get a bit sticky.  I stop worrying about Matt turning up and let myself go with the music.
I try to think if any part of me has led him on. Maybe, but it wasn't my intention. I enjoyed the feel of having someone interested in me, like Danielle had said, the excitement had been good. It had made me feel good.

I glance around as I move, as I spin I realise there's more than one guy eyeing me up.....I can't help it, a bolt of electricity runs through me.

-

I walk back from the ladies looking for Danielle, I can't see her. I stand at the edge of the dancefloor searching.
Then I spot him.
Matt.

"Hello Chelsea" he grins.

"Alright" I try to play it cool, I don't want him to get the wrong idea.

"Who you looking for?"

"My friend Danielle?" The music's too loud so I have no choice but to lean right into him and talk into his ear "my friend, with the long dark hair"

"Not seen her"

A horrible thought strikes me "who are you here with? Did you come on your own?"

He laughs "no! Some of the others came too, I'm not a total weirdo, I wouldn't come to a club looking for a hot lady alone"

A feeling of unease creeps through my veins, one night in Birmingham I'd stayed up watching crime documentaries with Kiera, one about a total weirdo, who had maintained he wasn't a weirdo, we had both agreed that no one would ever claim not to be a weirdo unless they were.