Part 24

It's mid afternoon and Im wedged on the sofa between Jack's sisters.

Kevin and Kevan are playing a card game.

Jack's been summoned to the kitchen by his mum and I've watched him through the window walk several times from the kitchen to his car loading up with the food being sent home with us for tomorrow.

When Jack reappears in the lounge he looks at me "we're basically being kicked out" he says.

"I'm not kicking you out!" Karen scolds him, "but Chelsea looks exhausted and your aunt Michelle is coming round and Chelsea doesn't need that lot questioning her"

Kiera springs to life next to me "oh moy god, I don't need that, Jacky I'm coming back back to ya place too"

"Ya fuckin' not!" Jack hisses towards his sister.

"Mom he swore at me!"

Simultaneously Karen swipes Jack around the side of his head and answers Kiera "you'll not be going back bothering them, let them spend the rest of Christmas on their own, it'll be a whole world different  for them next year" she smles. She's obviously picturing a baby here next year, but I can't help wondering if I'll be here too, as jack's girlfriend, or simply as his 'babbas momma' as he called me, or will I be home waiting for jack to return our daughter to me after our Christmas as co parents.

Jack, who is leaning over the back of the sofa whispers "sorry" into my ear. But I am loving it! I've had the best day. I was the only child in my family, unwanted by a sea of grown ups and Sian is an only child too, so I've never ever experienced this, and I'm relishing it.

***

I'm sitting on a comfy leather sofa in the family area of Jacks large kitchen diner.

He brings over a cup of tea and sits next to me.

"Mom was right, ya do look tired"

"I am, but I'm ok" I smile. This is weird. This one room is bigger than the floorplan of my entire flat, yet he's also got a media room, lounge, study and utility room down here and god knows how many bedrooms upstairs.

I look around, it's nicely decorated and furnished, but sparse of personal touches.

"Have you always lived here alone?"

He laughs "yeah, Stacey's neva lived here, stayed here, but neva lived here"

"That's not what I meant"

"I know, look, I'm neva here much on me own, Kiera or Kev, or friends are normally always stopping ova, but, well it is a family house, they had kids living here when I looked around before I bought it......there's a big garden, I've only ruined a bit of it playin' footy.....it'll be perfect for the baby as she grows up, I'll get her a trampoline and a car thing she can ride around in...."

I stare at him.
"Jack, my life and work is in Manchester, you're talking like I'm moving in?"

"Well ya can? I know ya work in Manchester, but ya gonna take a break ain't ya?"

"Jack, oh Jack we haven't even spoke about any of the important stuff...." My voice is small, overwhelmed.
"I was only going to take three months off to start with, then take on freelance stuff at shoots......the agencies I work with are all Manchester based, I don't want to lose the client base and contacts I've built"

He looks shocked "wot about the baby when ya working?"

"Nursery, I've put her name down at a really good one, it probably won't even work out a day a week......"

"If ya was here me mom would have her"

"Oh my god Jack, I can't be here and work in Manchester" I pause seeing the look on his face, "you've had this conversation with your mum already haven't you?"