Part 75

In my lunch break I turn my phone on. Immediately it goes mental with notifications.

There's loads from Jack, but I need to read the article first.

I click on it.

I just don't understand how he could do this to me? In November we were happily preparing for Christmas, viewing houses....... Cosy nights on the sofa looking at new furniture online and making plans......even seriously talking about maybe having another baby before Mia starts school.

The side of me that loves and trusts him unconditionally thinks it's a bit suspect that this Lily cow has got a new shitty cosmetic line coming out and I know that being linked to someone like Jack will give huge exposure, truth or not.......I mean is it any coincidence her range is called 'Scandalily'.

But then the other side of me, the side that reminds me there's still remnants of sticky tape holding me together......thinks there's no smoke without fire.

My phone rings. It's Jack.
Bile rises up my throat, and I just stare, unable to answer.

Immediately a message comes through.

'i know u r online. Please talk to me. None of it is true xx'

Immediately my phone pings again.

'chelsea please. My name's fucking mud again here. but I only care about u. It's not true. Please just say u r ok? I swear I don't know what she's talking about. She asked me for tix for her brother. That's it! Xx'

I reply.

'can we talk at home x'

I debated not putting a kiss, but the side that loves him with everything I have doesn't want him to stew all afternoon and get into even more trouble with Pep.

I pause when I get to the door back to the shop, I can hear Danielle talking.

"He's been a dick to her from the start! Obviously no one knew who he was then, but right from the start he was fucking several girls and Chelsea, when they were together he cheated on her twice, he's a waste of space. It was just a matter of time before he did it again"

I wipe the tears from my eyes and head back out with a fake smile plastered on.

-

When I arrive home with Mia, Jack is already there.

He's sitting in the kitchen with two hot mugs of tea.

He's also set out Mia's afternoon snack and drink on her play table, along with her playdough.

"Don't give her playdough with food Jack she'll bloody eat it!" I snap.

He looks hurt as he quickly tidies it away and tips out her Duplo.

"Teas jus' made" he says softly. I can hear the pain in his voice.

I pick my mug up and tip it down the sink before making myself a fresh coffee. I see Jack open his mouth, but swiftly close it again deciding not to speak up. I never drink coffee late in the afternoon, he knows that.
I'm just being petty. I want to upset him.

"None of it's true Chels..."

"So why is she saying it? No smoke without fire"

"But literally we only messaged about her getting some tickets"

"Show me"

"Well, they've gone now, I got a new phone at Christmas....."

"Convenient"

I look at him. His face is pale and sullen. His eyes red and watery.
His bottom lip keeps wobbling.
He keeps taking deep breaths to compose himself.