Dr Jones and the Witch

Done by jamespotterthefirst on fanfiction.net

"It's not like you slept together," Marlene is saying decisively as though that is all there needs to be said to make her point. She stops, the curling iron currently tangled in her hair smoking ominously. "Did you?"

"No," Lily replies at once, feeling her cheeks flush. She shifts on the bed where she sits, uneasy about her friends openly discussing her fling with a nameless stranger. "We definitely did not."

Dorcas stops midway applying the shockingly red lipstick she chose out of Marlene's makeup kit. "Wait," she chimes in, eyes meeting Lily's through the mirror. "I thought you said you couldn't remember that night?"

"I don't," she admits for what must be the hundredth time in those two weeks. "I just remember he was—"

"Insanely hot?" Marlene offers helpfully.

Lily doesn't even try to fight her on that because she is undeniably right. Her muddled memories of Fabian and Gideon's party involve loud, blaring music, a non-ending supply of alcohol, and a pair of eyes that catalyzed a warmth in her stomach that had nothing to do with the drinks. She can at least remember that much about him.

"Please don't let me get that drunk tonight," Lily begs.

Marlene raises her brows, non-committal. Before the blonde can tease her, however, Lily's phone buzzes on her lap. The eagerness with which she opens his message should be embarrassing but Lily finds she doesn't care much.

Unbearably handsome. You?, is his reply to her previous text asking him what he is going to be for Halloween.

She grins at her screen, belatedly trying to suppress it by biting her lower lip.

Don't know yet, she replies.

"Just sleep with him already," Marlene comments casually, running her fingers through her long hair.

"She will," Dorcas replies in a singsong voice before Lily can reply. "You don't save someone as 'Shag Me' in your contacts unless you fully plan on sleeping with them."

Lily glares at the pair, trying her best to look dignified. The coy smile that overpowers her, however, ruins that attempt. "I was incoherently drunk when I saved his number," she reasons. "And I didn't quite remember his name. I had to save his number some way I would remember." Her companions laugh, showing no sympathy for Lily's drunk predicament. Lily wrinkles her nose at the contact name. "Probably should've chosen something less… crude. But I can't say I can rationalize my drunk thought process." With a small shake of her head she adds, "Anyway, who says we're ever going to run into each other again?"

"You've got his number, don't you?" Marlene shoots back at once, inspecting her costume from various angles in the mirror. "He's been texting you for days now. I mean, the man is non-stop. Ask him out."

The mere thought makes her stomach plunge.

"I don't know," she admits out loud.

She doesn't think she can bear his rejection if all she is to him is a drunk girl he met at a party whom he texts out of pure boredom. Lily doesn't even have the guts to ask for his name in fear it will somehow break the illusion of the person she has dreamed up.

At her hesitation, Dorcas gives her a knowing smile. "Frank and the Prewett twins are best mates," she informs her. "Maybe Frank knows this mystery bloke too and he invited him to his party."

Despite herself, this strikes up a small beam of hope in her, even if she has no idea how she will recognize him if she runs into him again.

This small bubble of hope, however, is short lived as nine o'clock finds all three in the middle of Frank Longbottom's lavish townhouse. Lily had decided to scavenge her closet last minute for anything that could pass as a costume. In the end, she decided that a black lace boho dress she had purchased years ago along with an old costume hat Dorcas's little sister let her borrow made her a witch. Marlene had condemned her costume choice as "basic" while Dorcas, quite enviously, reassured her that she "looks unfairly good in anything, really."