Irreplaceable

by lovesickjily

It could have been worse.

With all the shenanigans that had gone on in that bus, the bus driver was bound to take action, except Lily Evans didn't think that he would go as far as assigning seats to all fifty-one students that rode the bus.

She remembered everyone's outrage at the news as if it was just yesterday, mostly because it did indeed happen the day before.

"That is enough! From here on out you will all be given assigned bus seats to ensure a peaceful and quiet environment. I'm sure you will all be thankful in the long run."

"We're not elementary- school kids," Sirius Black had defended among the midst of other student complaints.

"From your behavior and mischief it's hard to think otherwise," snapped the driver, a woman with an undisguised disgust— and a lust for Sirius— towards the students, which Lily blamed on her childhood upbringing and lack of understanding for other people.

"It wasn't even that bad," Peter Pettigrew said.

"You've broken countless school rules!"

"Ah, but if we actually did break school rules, wouldn't Lily Evans be on our arses instead of you?" James Potter added, which offended Lily in his implication that she always stood by the rules, and also kind of hurt because she had a small crush on the boy who had indirectly called her a nerd. She waved it off though, because she knew James meant no harm in his words.

"Miss Evans is a model student who you should all follow examples of," she replied, giving Lily a wide smile, which she weakly returned.

"Umbridge likes you. On a scale of one to ten, how much do you feel that this is an accomplishment?" her friend Marlene whispered to her.

"A solid three," she said back, her eyes focusing on the small toad-like woman who was telling the group of students their new seats that would take effect in the afternoon.

She had been assigned the right seat of the ninth row with none other than James Potter, a messy-haired bespectacled boy who was really gorgeous and had an amazing arse. They had been put together because Lily was one of the only people who didn't get off on annoying the bus driver, while James loved pulling elaborate schemes with his mates, though he knew when to not cross the line. Lily guessed that the driver's mindset was that placing a good student beside an irresponsible one would make the latter behave, and with Lily's instance she supposed that it had some truth to it, though it was probably because James didn't really seem to like her.

Like that one time they were paired up to do a group research project together on the Italian Renaissance, she had made up this scenario where they would create such an amazing project that the teacher would be showing off their creation to other classes, being that they were both at the top of their classes. In reality, however, James merely looked at her and asked, "Do you want to split up the project so that we each do half?" When Lily nodded her head in slight disappointment, he didn't say anything else and walked away once they had decided on what parts they were to do.

Or a lot of times whenever their friend groups sat together at the lunch table, James would look anywhere but in Lily's direction. Even if Lily was the focal point of everyone's attention because she was talking, he would just stare at his food as if it was more interesting than whatever she was talking about.

Lily didn't even do anything that could have made him not like her because they never even talked. Everyone always said that James was a great person to have a conversation with because you could joke around and talk to him about anything, which made sense because he was popular at their school and was the object of every girl's affections including Lily. She always disputed that it was a small little crush to Mary and Marlene, but they were convinced that they were meant to be even though they had no scientific evidence to support their claim.