Tis The Damn Season

done by natalie.ana on fanfiction.net

Belbury Square was as busy as it always was leading up to Christmas. People rushed about bundled up in coats and scarves and beanies with a half dozen shopping bags hanging off their hands. Mothers herding children back to the car, young couples taking photos in front of the large Christmas tree the council set up every year in the same spot, and Christmas music playing out of the speakers. It was completely idyllic and picturesque and when she showed her American friends photos, they always asked if she was being serious.

She hadn't been home in a while. Usually it was easier for her parents to come to her but she'd needed the break this time so she'd insisted. It was an added plus that her sister had decided to spend Christmas at some ski resort in Switzerland though her security team thought she was mad and maybe she was but she had needed home even if it was just for a weekend. It was nice to feel normal every once in a while.

Apart from her parents, Lily really hadn't expected to see anyone in Belbury, at least not anyone she hadn't expected to see in Belbury. Yet here she was coming to a slow stop in front of a man who she hadn't seen since she was eighteen with grocery bags in her hands and-

"Hi," was all that managed to come out of her mouth and honestly more fog than volume came out of it. She couldn't even tell if he'd heard her because he just stood there as though he weren't sure his eyes were working.

She'd never imagined, not in a million years, that she'd see him again. Maybe Belbury really was as small as she remembered. In a way, it felt like they'd found each other right where they had left each other and her stomach flipped when his eyes skimmed up and down her body, his smile tugging up in a smile.

He looked good. Grown up. Stubble on his chin, a few lines around his eyes, a small scar just above his left eyebrow that hadn't been there before. She was sure there was an entertaining story behind it, there always had been with James. He'd aged like wine and she wondered if he had a girlfriend or a wife and immediately chastised herself for it.

"Hi back," he said, his eyes — god were they always so mesmerising? — staring right into hers. He shoved his hands into his navy parka. "Fancy meeting you here."

"I'm, uh, I'm visiting my parents for the weekend." She let that sit for a moment.

"Not staying for Christmas?" he asked and she shook her head.

"I've gotta be in LA in a few days," she explained and she hesitated and then, "my mum told me about your parents — James, I'm so sorry. I really wish I could have made it for the funeral."

He looked at the ground for a moment, it had to have been over a year ago when his parents had passed but it must still sting. He'd always been close with his parents and they were the best kind of parents. Warm and always welcoming. James' house had always been the go-to for their high-school gatherings.

"I know. I got your note and, uh, your flowers. You remembered mum's favourites."

Her stomach hopped at the thought that he'd bothered to remember the flowers and note she'd sent.

"Carnations. How could I ever forget? Mum also mentioned you'd moved to London after uni."

"Yeah," he said, glad for the topic change, "after Oxford it seemed the next right thing to do. Sirius and I've got a dodgy apartment and everything."

"God, Sirius Black. That's a name I haven't heard in a while. How's he doing?"

"He's good — great actually. He owns no less than four bars across London — well co-owns with our mate Remus who we met at Oxford."