thrice defied

by eponnia

Lily and James run together through an alley after Bellatrix.

It's their first mission after graduating from Hogwarts in 1978. Being initiated into the secret Order of the Phoenix had been daunting and exhilarating. It had been expected James would join the battle. In school, he'd picked fistfights and dueled with minor spells, and the true danger of combat invigorates him now. Lily, on the other hand, has always been more practical. This isn't something to casually enter into, but she can't stand by while the Death Eaters destroy everything in their path. They could die fighting in the war with Voldemort, but they will create a better world at the same time.

The outspoken redhead and the cocky raven-haired Gryffindors are only barely eighteen. Though fresh from Hogwarts, they sprint headlong after their opponent. There's blood on James' forehead, and dirt streaks Lily's face. Bellatrix cackles as she throws a red spell over her shoulder. "Crucio!"

Lily blocks it with a Shield Charm by the skin of her teeth. "Progeto!"

Bellatrix keeps running, and James grins. "Thanks, Lils!"

"No problem!" Defensive charms are Lily's specialty, while direct spells are his field. She has had to work on her offensive hexes with the Order, a necessity in her new combat duties. "We need to keep moving! Bellatrix is getting away!"

"See how you handle this!" Bellatrix calls, and Disapparates. Then there's another crack as a man suddenly Apparates in the alley. Lily and James brace and grip their wands, and she squints. The man is too thin to be Fenrir Greyback, too tall to be Mulciber Jr. either. Then their opponent steps out of the shadows.

She's never seen Voldemort in the flesh before. There's always photos in The Daily Prophet these days, but the reality makes her freeze. It's not only his serpentine appearance, but knowing he's killed hundreds and told his Death Eaters to murder thousands more. Evil incarnate stands before her for the first time, and his name is Tom Riddle.

Voldemort raises his wand. "Avada-"

"Petrificus Totalus!" Lily screams.

He goes rigid, mouth frozen in forming the Killing Curse, and collapses to the cobblestones. James breathes hard beside her, and Lily's heart pounds so wildly she thinks it will fly from her chest. She's terrified because the Dark Lord almost killed them, he almost murdered James. But now they have Voldemort at their mercy.

James raises his mahogany wand. "Confringo!"

But somehow without moving a muscle, Voldemort Disapparates. James' Blasting Curse hits the ground where the Dark Lord had been half a second earlier.

"Merlin's beard," James breathes. "Smashing idea for a spell."

"I don't know how he got out of a Full Body Bind. Voldemort's a psychopath, but he's a talented wizard, even I'll give him that." Stretching a kink in her neck, she pockets her willow wand. "We should get back to tell the Order." But when she turns, James is down on one knee and holding out a ring.

"Lily Evans, I've loved you since we were eleven. But I don't want to face the war without knowing we belong to each other. So will you marry me?

She gasps, "Of course, what kind of question is that?"

He laughs, standing to pick her up and spin them. Their mouths crash together, and even though they are both bruised and battered, he's never been more handsome.

"I love you more than life itself, James," she says between kisses.

"And I love you more than life itself, Lily."