A Beautiful Mistake

by JaredSadalecki

A sopping wet James Potter stood shivering on the mud covered banks of a fast flowing stream. He cupped his hands around his mouth, "Lily! Lily where are you!?" He screamed over the crashing rapids. He had lost her, he had been stupid and arrogant, and he lost her. What had he been thinking? This was only his first year as an Auror, he shouldn't have vouched to go on a mission by himself, or with Lily Evans. He had thought for sure that the spell he had used would crumble the ground beneath Bellatrix Lestrange's feet, not the soil that held him and the red head up. As a result of his cockiness, Lily was somewhere in this river, hopefully still alive. "Lily!" He cried again, in a desperate hope that she was safe.

A splotch of red entered his view, and hope flared up inside of him. "Lily!" he gasped, wading quickly through the knee deep waters to where the girl was headed. The current of the water lead her straight to were he was standing. As she neared, he held out his arms, ready to catch the small witch. When she entered his reach, he lifted her up, and stood her steadily on her feet, he kept his hands around her arms, so that if the petite girl was to be swept away, he could still have her safely within his grasp. He pulled her into him, wrapping his arms around her slender frame, "I'm so glad you're okay." He muttered. She placed her hands on his chest, and pushed away. "What do you think you're doing Potter?" She snarled, waddling out of the cold water. "Don't touch me."

James sighed, tugging his hand through his waterlogged hair. She wasn't his, and she wouldn't play along for even a minute. He couldn't say that he blamed her either, it was his fault. As she walked away, he watched the gentle sway of her hips, she was perfect. Soon after, he followed suit, relieving his poor legs from the draftiness of the water. He easily caught up to the small girl, his legs were longer and stronger than hers were, giving him no difficulty wading out. As he walked along side of her, she stumbled, without even thinking, his hand darted to hers, keeping her from submerging completely under. It was apparent that she had done so on her journey down here. Her fiery red hair clung damply to the back of her neck, she had had on some Muggle eye make-up before hand, and it was now streaming down her cheeks. "Careful." He muttered softly, pulling her back up to her feet. He gently laid his hand on her back. "Do- Do you want some help?" He asked, knowing full well the answer. "No Potter, I don't want your help. That's how we got here in the first place."

James let his hand drop to his side. "Alright." He plowed ahead, leaving her behind. It wasn't but 30 feet until the shore, she could make it on her own. When she did, he said, "There's an alcove over here, I think we may have to spend the night." He began to walk towards the small cave, with every step he took, his boots squashed, water soaking through to his socks. He didn't need to turn around to know that Lily was behind him, he could feel her eyes on his back, she was watching his every move; just waiting for him to screw up again. The small shelter was about 50 feet from the water's edge. When he entered, he immediately kicked off of his boots and peeled of his socks. "You should do the same." He told Lily as he drained the excess liquid from his shoes. And with a nasty glare, she did. He knew exactly why he had received the scowl, she hated being told what to do, and even worse, she hated when she was told correctly.

Next, he began to undo the buttons on his shirt. "What are you doing?" Lily growled at him. He didn't answer right away, instead, he finished with his shirt, and he hung it on a protruding tree root. He wasn't embarrassed about standing shirtless in front of the girl of his dreams; he was a good looking guy. During the school year, he had played Quidditch, so that had kept him in a nice shape, and after school, he took to attending a Muggle gym nearby to the apartment that he bought. "Survival technique. If your clothes are wet, and you're cold, take off the wet clothing." Then, looking at her dripping shirt he asked, "Are you cold?" She scowled at him, obviously shivering. "Of course I'm cold."