Chickenpox

done by Artemis98 on fanfiction.net

Harry felt awful. The sun was glaring down on him, and he felt all too hot. It felt like he was standing in an oven. But still he continued to tread on his bicycle, wanting nothing more to get home and sleep for a whole week. The others from his class, including the adults had passed away from view long ago, and he wasn't sure how long it was until he got home again. There was yet another hill to get up, and he shakily got off the bicycle to walk up. He kept his eyes on the ground, focusing on putting one foot in front of the other, forcing himself to get forwards. Time seemed to move too slowly for comfort, and the hill seemed to never end.

When he finally got over the hill, he saw that there was another hill after a few meters of a downhill. But as he felt too shaky to risk rolling downwards on the gravel in his current state, he opted to just walk the rest of the way. He supposed he was around an hour or so from the school, where he could pick up his pack and get home. So, with a heavy sigh, Harry continued to walk, trying to ignore the headache and his feeling of loneliness.

It was almost two hours later that Harry had managed to get himself back to the school. He would never have thought he would be so glad to see the place as he was at that moment. Looking around, he couldn't see anybody else. The school was deserted, and Harry felt the loneliness take hold of him again. There was only his backpack laying on the ground in the schoolyard, and not a person to be seen. Harry decided that he didn't want to use the bicycle to get home, so he parked it and went over to his things. Picking up his backpack and his sleeping pad, made his way slowly home.

The trip home, which would normally take a maximum of ten minutes, seemed to take ages. His legs felt like lead, and the headache had redoubled. On top of this, Harry suspected that he either was severely sunburned or had a fever. It was difficult to determine when he had been under the sun for several hours without water (He had given half of it to Ron as he had forgotten to bring some for himself).

When he finally got through the door of his home, he felt like he could weep. He just dumped his things in the hallway, feeling too bad to bother to put it where it belonged, even though his mother would lecture him when she saw. He made his way slowly up to the living room, where he knew the rest of the family was.

"How was the trip, honey?" his mother, Lily asked him when he entered. She turned to smile at him, only to freeze and a frown of concern coming across her beautiful face. He just shrugged, not really wanting to lie and say that it had been fine.

"Are you feeling alright, honey? You look a little pale." She asked, moving closer, raising her hand to his forehead. Her eyes widened when she felt how warm he was. She gently took him by the shoulders and guided him to the sofa, making him lay down. Her frown deepened when he didn't protest.

"You feel a little warm honey. If you'll just wait here, I'll get the thermometer" she spoke softly, noticing the sigh of relief he let out as Harry lay his head down on the pillow.

Lily didn't take long to get back with the thermometer, and made him lift his arm, as he was only wearing a T-shirt, and stuck the metal under his arm. Harry shivered as the cold metal touched his skin but didn't object.

"How are you feeling, honey?" she asked again, distracting him from the feeling of the thermometer under his arm. He just shrugged. Then, seeing the look she gave him, answered;

"My head hurts, and I feel like I've boiled under the sun." he answered, his voice hoarse. Just then there was a beeping from his armpit, and Lily took back the thermometer. Her eyes widened in surprise and horror as she saw the numbers; 40.3 Celsius! No wonder he had a headache and felt hot.

"You've got quite the headache, Harry. You will lay here while I get you something for your headache and fever." She told him, as she hurried to the kitchen, where she took some Paracet and a glass of water. Coming back, she saw that Harry was struggling to keep his eyes open. She supposed that riding on your bicycle while suffering a fever was rather exhausting.