Business Only

by Percephone

She checked her reflection in the metallic lustre of the elevator doors. The red arrow was still pointing downwards. She looked up at the numbers indicated at the top of the door: 27, 26, 25, and lastly, 24. There was a beeping noise, the young woman stepped lightly inside, sending only a curt smile to her co-elevator-travellers, turned 'round to face the way from which she came. She slowly extended her hand out, pressing the button that indicated the third floor. The doors slowly closed before her, and the young woman continued to stare at her reflection.

Her thick mound of a red mane was pulled back in a soft ponytail. Her bangs were combed to the side, staying there with the help of a little magic she had learned while she had attended a very private school. Two curly strands hung loose in front of her ears flowing like the soft contours of her face that accentuated her femininity. Her large sea green eyes were drawn out by her thick black mascaraed lashes. No one could contest the fact that Lily Evans looked every inch a lady.

Even her attire seemed to exude femininity. From the delicate, almost khaki green business overcoat to her black tight at the hips, looser towards the knees skirt, right down to her lovely shoes…Lily Evans possessed womanly curves that were never seen as a curse. Lily made full use of what genetics had handed to her.

Alas, she arrived at the third floor. With one last look at her reflection, one last brush of a loose strand-that-wasn't-really-there back behind her ears, Lily stepped lightly off the elevator and walked directly towards the grand opening of the hotel's private restaurant. Just one look at the marble tiling of the floors and the tuxedo the host wore, it didn't take a genius to figure out that her company would be paying mucho mucho deniero for the business meal she was about to take.

That's when Lily's hands went cold. This was a business meeting, she had to remind herself. She was here on business. Her employer depended on her abilities to earn the trust of the other business person and to persuade them into letting go of their company. She had to earn their trust. The company had to earn this one person's trust and, since Lily seemed to be the most honest, sincere and trustworthy person at the office, all her superiors and subordinates had voted her the most likely to succeed in this undertaking. What the others didn't know was that her business savvy and prowess would have nothing to do with the outcome of this deal.

"Vous avez une reservation, Mademoiselle?" asked the host.

Lily, barely able to recall some of her French, nodded. "Oui. C'est sous le nom: Evans et Potter, s'il vous plait."

"Un instant…" The man looked down at his guest book. "Oui, bien sur. Je vous prie de me suivre." Lily nodded and followed the man as he led her to the back of the restaurant, stopped, and directed her with an open palm towards the direction of her table.

Lily's feet went cold at this moment. He was sitting there, leaning his face on one fist, twirling his fork between his fingers, hunched over, crumpling his very expensive Pierre Cardin suit. She smiled to herself at the fact that she was able to tell it was Pierre Cardin from this distance. He looked just like he had years ago: from his charmingly messy jet black hair, to the way his glasses went askew from his resting arm pushing against the rims. Lily straightened herself, pushed the thoughts out of her head, and walked directly towards James, thanking the host as she did.

"James Potter," she spoke as she drew near. James seemed to snap out of his reverie. He stood very quickly, straightened out his glasses, and made his way around the white clothed table to meet her.

"Lily Evans," he replied, smiling slightly. "We meet again, at last." Lily grasped his hand and gave it a firm handshake. It was the way of the business – no messing around. A soft shake of the hand meant you were a pushover, that you wouldn't stick to your guns. Lily was not a prissy princess. She was a go-getter. She was getting this contract signed.