A Visit To The Potters'

by be11atrixthestrange

"Ron, Hermione!" As soon as his two best friends cross the threshold into Harry's childhood home, they are scooped up into a bear hug from none other than Lily Potter. "It's been too long!"

"Hi, Mrs Potter," mumbles Hermione, her face squished into the shoulder of Lily's jumper. "Thank you for having us!"

"Yes, thank you!" says Ron, his voice equally muffled. "It smells delicious, by the way."

"Good! I'm making your favorite!" Lily pulls away but catches them both at an arm's length. "You two are so grown up!"

Ron and Hermione exchange a wordless glance, and their cheeks glow pink under Lily's attention.

"Mum, you're making my friends feel awkward," says Harry from behind them.

Lily smiles and rushes past Ron and Hermione to engulf Harry in an embrace. "You're so grown up too."

"Stop," he groans, only to elicit a laugh from his mum.

Over her shoulder, he can see his father, James Potter, clapping his friends on the back and initiating their 'secret handshake' — something his dad thinks is cool, but in reality, just makes him embarrass himself. Still, his friends humour him and engage anyway.

James and Lily were so excited to have Ron and Hermione over for the Christmas holidays during their first year at school — they wanted to hear all about Harry's time at Hogwarts from the perspective of his friends. They said the report would be more accurate that way — Harry's friends wouldn't exaggerate anything and make him appear cooler or smarter, or more successful. They would surely share news about embarrassing moments and crushes, stuff that Harry might skip if he was interrogated alone.

It kept him humble, his dad would say, reminding Harry of whenever his uncle Sirius or Lupin would come over and correct James' retellings of school events. "Actually, you were still on the bench that time Gryffindor won the house cup," and "you never attended that party because you had detention for transfiguring Severus Snape into a duck."

That first year sparked an annual tradition. Harry, Ron, and Hermione split their time between the Potters', Weasleys' and Grangers' family homes each Christmas, and thus, any detailings of Hogwarts shenanigans over the past term became a little more colorful.

Now that they were in their sixth year, their parents had come to expect these vivid recollections, but it always surprised Harry how little they actually had to say. For example, a change of subject or an extended silence after a question about exams or merlin forbid, dating, was enough to initiate an inquisition.

Some things couldn't be hidden from parents, especially when they had access to multiple sources of information.

"I've set up a spare mattress for Ron in your bedroom, Harry, and the guest room is all ready for Hermione. Make yourselves at home, and dinner will be ready in a few."

Ron and Hermione exchange another look and turn toward the hallway. Their shoulders bounce together as they continue side by side to the bedrooms. At one point, Ron — who has become increasingly chivalrous this year — lays his hand on her lower back to guide her down the hallway first.

Lily watches them with a soft smile before turning to her son. "Harry, could you help me in the kitchen?"

"Sure, Mum."

In the kitchen, Lily continues preparing dinner — steak and kidney pies as well as a hearty vegetable soup, it's aroma wafting through the kitchen. The smell immediately makes Harry feel at ease, bringing with it comforting memories of home, childhood, and Christmas. James takes a stack of plates and cups from the shelf and carries it into the dining room to set the table.