Souls

done by liiilyevans on fanfiction.net

Lily sighed as she entered her and her best friend's flat. She had been out late last night working. Her job wasn't the easiest one in the world, but she loved saving people

"Finally back?" Marlene McKinnon asked from the kitchen. The blonde was sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee. Lily had to tell Marlene that she was a superhero a few months after they had started sharing the flat together. She'd taken the news pretty well and swore never to tell a soul.

"Yeah, long night, or I would have been back sooner," Lily answered.

"Doing things with Captain Naughty, were we?" Marlene teased as Lily rolled her eyes. Lily knew she was referring to James Potter a.k.a. Captain Blackbird. Lily had meant said superhero one night when she decided to explore uptown instead of going her usual route downtown. She would never forget it.

Lily jumped from the top of one skyscraper to another. The buildings weren't spaced too far apart so she had an easy time of it. She didn't really know what made her decide to come this far uptown. All the crimes she handled was downtown. That's where the majority of the drug lords and underground tunnels were. She'd never been uptown as Lady Emerald, her superhero self. Most of the big corporations were up here. Once or twice, she'd driven in for a job interview; she'd never gotten the job though. She crouched down and looked over the edge at the busy city of Atlantis. Tons of cars were hurriedly passing by even though it was close to midnight.

Suddenly Lily felt a presence behind her. Spinning around, she saw a floating man behind her. His eyes were wondering up and down her body as if undressing her. The smirk on his face annoyed her to no end. It said that he knew something that she didn't and she didn't like it. His outfit was all black including the mask that covered a good portion of his face. He could be either good or bad, but Lily was willing to bet that it was the latter.

"Who are you?" she asked preparing herself for a fight.

"You don't know?" the man questioned.

"If I did I wouldn't be asking," Lily replied sarcastically.

He smirked at her. "Who are you? Because last time I checked there wasn't a girl running around playing dress up around here."

A girl playing dress up?! How dare he!

"For your information, I am not playing dress up, I happen to be working," Lily glared openly at him.

"Working? What do you do?"

"Are you blind?" she sassed him. "What does it look like?"

Suddenly she felt weird, like her mind was being invaded. Like her most inner thoughts were written on her forehead. Lily summoned her powers at this moment.

She acquired her powers when she was working for a secret government lab in London when a freak accident happened. She was the only one in the room. Afterwards, she found she could absorb kinetic energy. Any physical force used against her was instantly absorbed and stored then she could project it outwards with devastating effects. She also found that if she was falling from a great height, she could slow herself down before landing on the ground.

Absorbing the kinetic energy around her, Lily lifted her hands up and pushed the energy toward the stranger. He tried to move, but she was to quick for him. Already, he was pushed back with such force he nearly hit the next building.

"Well played," he nodded glaring at her. "Can't we settle this like civilized human beings?"

"Get out of my head," she instructed him. "I don't who you are, but you can rest assured that I won't be read like an open book."