Let It Snow

done by PeppermintChocolateQuills on fanfiction.net

James was about 73% sure that he was going to get killed tonight. Not very reassuring odds but he had faced worse. But never before had he been so nervous for his life.

Meeting your significant other's family will do that to you, he supposed.

James paced in the living room of his apartment.

A knock interrupted his thoughts then the sound of music being blasted through his door. A squeaky chipmunk voice screamed "You better not pout!"

James swung the door open. "Fucking hell, Sirius! Do you want to get mugged?"

Sirius grinned. "They wouldn't beat me up, I'm too beautiful."

James resumed his pacing as Sirius flopped down on the couch.

"Well, are you going to help me?"

"Mate, looks like you need a lot more help than I can give you. Maybe try the insanity ward at the med bay?"

James swore colorfully.

"Woah, language! What if Wormtail's young and innocent ears had been here?"

James did the most mature thing he could: stuck his tongue out at Sirius.

Sirius laughed. "Alright, relax! What's the worst that could happen? It's just a dinner with the parents, right?"

"The parents, the sister, and the sister's fiancé! I could make a total idiot out of myself and Lily would ignore me for the rest of our lives!"

"I wouldn't stress about you being an idiot, that's a given. It's going to happen, so no use stressing. Besides, Lily hasn't left you yet! And you're literally always an idiot, so that's a good sign!"

"Thanks Padfoot, you're the best best mate I could ask for."

"Oh, you better say that a little louder. I don't think the people over in Mecha heard your sarcasm."

"Ok, but seriously."

"Siriusly?"

James gritted his teeth. "I'm going to kick your sorry ass if you don't help me."

Sirius sniggered, then somehow managed to put on a straight face.

James frowned, unsure how to word what was really bothering him.

"It's just…I'm worried that…What if Lily's parents are…well, racist?"

Sirius looked at him in the eye. "Dude. They raised a daughter like Lily. I don't think you need to worry about that. I think you need to worry about coming across as more of an idiot that you actually are."

"Thanks mate. So how do I not sound like an idiot?"

"Alright. I have a suggestion."

"A useful one?"

"Ha. Ha. Ha. Actually though, I'll help you practice."

"Practice what?"

"I'll be her parents and you be your disgusting self. I'll ask you questions and whatnot and you answer."

James stopped pacing. "Miracles do happen! A useful suggestion made by one Sirius Black."

He spun around to face Sirius. "Wait a minute."

"Are you sick? Do you have a fever? Are you on drugs?"

Sirius rolled his eyes. "Well, what's your name, young man?" He asked in an absurdly low voice.