Blind Dating

by MPPMaraudergirl

The only light illuminating the dark living room was from the orange street lamp outside, which shined in through the blinds casting stripes onto the carpet. The pairs of feet shuffled together, occasionally redirected when blocked by the sofa or coffee table, while the limbs of the man and woman interwove in the dark. Their lips thrashed together, nibbling and biting and occasionally traveling to necks and jawlines. Hurried hands began untucking, unbuttoning, and pulling off articles of clothing as the couple stumbled blindly down the hallway to the closed door of a bedroom.

The man, tall and unruly, broke his hand free for the moment it took him to slam the door open behind him and pull her inside. The new setting seemed to drive them further in their fervent movements. Suddenly he found himself sitting on the edge of the bed with the woman straddling one leg over his thigh. His hands found a hold on her backside and she finally came to her senses.

"Wait," she panted, standing back up straight with a small ruffle of her hair, "wait. What are we even doing?"

Two months earlier

Lily Evans arrived at the restaurant fashionably late, spoke the name of the reservation "Black" (Marlene said it was easier giving Sirius' last name than her own) and was led to a small round table in the corner of the restaurant. It was a posh place that had recently opened in one of the richest parts of town; a place usually out of Lily's price-range, but as she and Marlene were celebrating their big bonuses from work, they had decided to splurge. After making the reservation, Marlene told her Sirius Black (a good friend of hers, 'good' in the modern kind of way) and his best friend – Jim or something – would be joining them. Therefore when she arrived, she wasn't surprised to find the table occupied by a man she didn't know; apparently Marlene and Sirius were running even later than she was.

"Hello," she said kindly, after thanking the host. She took the seat across from the man who looked up at her appearance. He looked tall, even from his seated position, and as she spoke, a pair of hazel eyes locked with hers. "I'm Lily."

He shook her outstretched hand, lips curling unevenly, "Hi Lily, nice to meet you. I'm James. I was beginning to think no one else was coming."

"You clearly haven't spent enough time with Marlene. She's late for everything."

"Yeah, Sirius is too. It used to drive me mad because I arrive everywhere early, but I've grown used to it now," he said before casting a look at his mobile. "Anyway, I texted him a few minutes ago but he hasn't responded yet."

"I called Marlene from my car and she didn't answer either…"

Lily and James exchanged uneasy glances as their waiter strolled up to them.

"Can I get you drinks to start out?"

"Oh, let's just wait," Lily said to James before returning her attention to the waiter. "We have two more coming…"

"Two more? The reservation was only for two."

Lily visibly blanched as James asked, "For two? Just two?"

"Oh yes, I am quite sure it was made for two."

James silenced Lily's comment with a look before asking, "Is there a credit card associated with the reservation?"

"Yes, of course. We require a credit card to hold the table. I believe…" – he checked his paper – "ah, yes, a Mr. Black's charge card is on file."

"Splendid," James said kindly to the man before turning to Lily, "Do you prefer white or red wine?"

"Err—white."