Bad Girl AU

done by haleyisafangirl on fanfiction.net

James Potter had not looked at the Marauder's Map in ages.

When he, Sirius, Remus, and Peter had made the stupid thing, they had sworn as solemn of an oath as teenage boys could that they would use it purely for mischief and that they would use it often. But lately, James couldn't look at it without making himself nauseous.

At night was the worst, because that was when he was most likely to see Lily Evans's dot locked inside a broom cupboard with some idiot bloke from another house. Last week it had been Adam Kearn from Hufflepuff, the week before it had been Justin Ferrah from Ravenclaw, and the Ravenclaw Seeker Kent had lasted a solid week and a half. At this point, James was somewhat used to being in love with someone whom the whole rest of the school deemed a slut, but it still gave him a sharp pang in the chest when he saw Lily's name next to (or rather, on top of) someone other bloke's name.

It had begun with the fifth year post-exams incident, he decided. Lily had been teetering on the edge of a large change, and she decided to go all in. When she came back from the summer holidays, she was doused in dark eye makeup and eternally grumpy, and she had been a "bad girl" ever since. She disrespected teachers, broke rules, and didn't have the cleanest mouth, the nicest manners, or the modest behavior that she used to have.

James was still bloody in love with her, but he missed the old Lily Evans.

Which was why he was so hesitant to look at the Marauder's Map on the night of November 16, 1977. "Prongs!" Sirius insisted, trying to drag him away from his Transfiguration book in the common room. "I'm serious, you've got to look at the Map, it's bloody ridiculous, I can't believe it and you've got to come now-"

"Padfoot, if it's another stupid bloke Evans has got wrapped around her pretty little finger, I'm not interested."

"But Prongs, it's not just any bloke!"

"Then who is it?" James demanded, slamming his book closed angrily and fearing somewhere in the back of his mind that Lily had managed to seduce Peter.

Sirius ran his fingers through his hair anxiously. "Snivellus," he admitted quietly, and James was out of his seat and through the Portrait Hole before he could say Snape.

The whole thing was bloody insane. He had called her the worst offense imaginable, he had devoted himself to the Dark Arts, he was practically a Death Eater already! How could Evans be so blind? How could she take him back after all of this? And not only as a friend, but as something more?! She would get hurt, so hurt, and he couldn't watch it again. That day in fifth year was the only time James had seen the way Lily's eyes got when she was hurt, and they had looked absolutely empty. That emptiness had been in the back of her eyes, hiding under all the fake brightness, ever since, and James couldn't stand to see it come to the forefront again.

When he approached the classroom where Sirius had seen Lily and Severus on the Map, he stopped in front of the door. Hearing nothing, he assumed they had cast a Muffliato charm and barged in without knocking.

"What the hell?" he demanded, but his shouts were just white noise in the background of even louder ones.

"Severus!" Lily was demanding. "I am my own person now! You cannot control me like you used to!"

"I never controlled you!" Severus shouted back. "You controlled everything I did! I was bloody in love with you and you manipulated it!"

"Manipulated it?!" Lily's laugh was a sharp, cynical bark. "You were so in love with me that you called me a Mudblood, is that it? You worshiped the Dark Arts to prove how good you were for me? You are completely mental, you ugly conniving git-" The rest of Lily's words were lost in the ensuing scuffling noises as she lunged for Severus, punching him repeatedly but without making much of a dent. James surged forward and pried her off as she kicked and screamed and looked around frantically for the third party.