Youngest Seeker in a Century

by Fayejase

James Potter was out for his morning jog, a habit he picked up in school while on the Gryffindor Quidditch Team and something he just couldn't bring himself to kick even 13 years after leaving Hogwarts, when he spotted the morning owl post several meters away tapping on his quaint little cottages kitchen window. He saw his gorgeous wife, Lily, throw open the latch on the windows to allow the statuesque barn owl entrance to their home. He sped up his pace, ending his run strong. When he made way into the back door of the house it was just as the owl was leaving out the same double window of the kitchen he entered through just minutes before. Lily stood by the sink, sorting the post when James wrapped sweaty arms around her waist and nuzzled his face into the side of her neck, squeezing her into his chest. His wife was home to him.

"Mmm good morning, love." James hums into her ear.

Lily giggles, surprisingly cheerful for this time of morning. Her usual attitude most likely placated by the almost empty cup of coffee sitting on the counter next to the stack of post. She turns around in his arms and drags her fingers through his perpetually messy hair before standing on her toes to press a kiss to his ready lips.

"Hey handsome. How was your run this morning?" She asks with hooded eyes as she looks his bare chest and running shorts up and down.

James gives her his signature grin and reaches around her to grab a glass for water and turns on the sinks faucet before taking a hefty sip. "Good. It is getting a bit cold out, I might have to start running with more clothes on." He pouts at the thought. He prefers less to no clothing while working out.

Lily rolls her eyes with a smile on her face. "Oh yes, what a terrible shame it is for you to cover up.

That only makes James grin grow larger. "Love, we both know how much you like it when I show off for you no matter how much you try to deny it.

Despite her second eye roll, Lily's skin has a delightful tinge of pink that appears on her neck. It still causes James stomach to erupt with butterflies that he has that effect on Lily Evans. Well, Potter. Merlin, he's a lucky bloke.

Lily points to the small stack of letters next to the sink and says, "There's one for you from Remus and one from Professor McGonagall." That causes James to frown. He and Lily had received word from Minnie the night they'd dropped Harry off at Platform 9 3/4 just days ago for his first year at Hogwarts to let them know he had made it into Gryffindor house. A legacy of the Potter name. Lily and James had been so proud and excited that their baby boy had made it into their house that they had sent a patronus to Sirius and Remus who came straight away to celebrate all night long. Perhaps Harry was more like his father and uncles than James had thought with half of goodie teachers pet Lily in his DNA and had already gotten himself into trouble just days in. He didn't think he could possibly be more proud of Harry if that were the case. He gave Lily a mischevious look, one she knew all too well as he ripped open the letter from McGonagall. Lily herself looked positively anxious. With a lifted brow and accusing pointed finger she said, "James Potter, I swear if he turns out to be as much of a prat as you, I want a divorce. And if McGonagall is writing to tell you that you're an awful parent who raised an awfully horrid child then I won't blame her or stop her from sending you a howler or sending you several hexes the next time she sees you. I can only hope she won't blame me as much considering she addressed the letter just to you.

Lily continues to sass James but his ears go completely deaf as he rereads the letter three times. Heart thudding rapidly. Shock and excitement coursing through his veins. He looks at Lily, who is busying herself with the dishes and still lecturing James on their child and he feels more out of breath than he did while running five miles that morning. He's frozen, mouth gaping, when Lily turns around to face him.