Synergy

by Seriously Sam

James Potter flipped idly through his Transfiguration book in a study room in the back of the library. He raised his left hand up to run it through his hair but stopped himself. It had taken nearly a whole bottle of Sleekeazy's Hair Potion and a half hour of Sirius' ridicule to get his hair to lay somewhat flat on his head. His fingers clenched before he pounded his fist on the table, his gaze resting on the study room door that was slightly ajar waiting for a certain redhead to appear.

Professor McGonagall had always been his favorite professor. He not only enjoyed the subject material but enjoyed the professor's dry humor. Right now, he could have worshiped the very ground she walked upon because she had paired James with Lily Evans on a Transfiguration project. That meant that the two of them had to be alone and working together. James couldn't keep the shite-eating grin off his face when McGonagall uttered the names Potter and Evans.

James looked down at the watch he had received for his seventeenth birthday just over a week ago. It had a black leather band with a light blue face. In the background, various constellations were embossed behind the golden hands. His parents had bought Sirius a matching one months ago when he came of age. Sirius had jokingly called them watch buddies when the owl appeared at the breakfast table on the morning of his birthday.

"Potter."

James looked up to see Evans standing in the doorframe. Her lips were drawn in a thin line, her auburn hair pulled up into a messy ponytail on the top of her head, her green eyes cold. He would break her. He was determined.

"Right on time." James held up his watch and wiggled his wrist.

Evans eyed him, her gaze flickering to his hair. The corners of her lips quirked upward but he could tell she was trying her hardest to hide it. She stepped in, shutting the door quietly behind her before taking a seat across from him. She slid her messenger bag onto the floor by her feet. She then bent down to pull out her Transfiguration book, some parchment, her wand, and the box that Professor McGonagall had given them for the project.

"So, what kind of diorama do you want to make?" Evans opened up the box and pulled out variety of cut up pieces of parchment.

"Wow, we're just cutting straight to the chase, aren't we?" James pushed his glasses up his nose.

"It's a school project, Potter, not a social hour." Evans frowned, her eyes flickering to his hair again. "What the bloody hell did you do to your hair?"

"I combed it." James grinned. "I've listened to you talk about these newfangled things called combs for years now and I decided to bite the wand and purchase one last Hogsmeade visit."

"You look positively… odd."

James licked his bottom lip, mulling over his word choices carefully. What had Sirius told him? Don't be a cocky prat and talk to her like she was one of his best mates? Something something he didn't need to impress her, he just needed to be himself? James narrowed his eyes, his fingers tapping on the table.

"I could always mess it up again if that makes you feel better." James hovered his hand over his hair. "Yes? No? Comb? Fresh off my broom look? What would help you concentrate better, Evans?"

"I couldn't care less what your hair looks like," Evans scoffed.

James only continued to smile as he picked up his wand that rested by his textbook. He twirled it between his fingers as he leaned back in his chair. Evans flipped through her book until she found the chapter they were currently on.

"We could do the solar system." Evans shrugged as she tapped one of the bits of parchment with the tip of her wand, her lips moving wordlessly.

James watched in mild interest as the flat sheet of paper folded and molded until it formed into the perfect circle. Her lips pursed to the side as she tapped it again and the paper started to bleed different colors until it looked like it could pass for the Earth. James cocked his head to the side, his eyes squinting behind his glasses.