Bae-watch

by wotcherpotter

Lily joined her family at the table for breakfast on the first Sunday of her summer break. She had always been the last to rise, a trait that had only become more prominent the older she grew. The sun shone through the window and danced on the fiery red of her hair, warming her shoulders. Two slices of toast were placed on the table in front of her mother, and Lily eagerly thanked her whilst she spread several layers of jam on each. Her sister, Petunia, looked at her across the table with disdain. Lily poked her tongue in retaliation. She caught her eye with her father over the top of the paper, and could just make out the hint of a smile from the crinkles by his eyes.

Lily picked up the entertainment section of the paper that her father had left for her on the table. She was flicking through the pages aimlessly, when a small advert in the corner of one of the pages caught her eye. Queen were scheduled to perform at a venue closeby towards the end of the summer. Lily nearly fell out of her seat in excitement. She ran to the kitchen where the phone was on the hook, and dialled the number of her best friend. Lily tapped her foot impatiently, and curled the cord around her finger whilst she waited. After a few rings, someone at the other end finally picked up.

"McKinnon residence, this is Michael," a deep voice answered.

"Hi Mike, it's Lily. Is Marlene awake yet? Actually, I doubt she is but this is extremely important, can you go get her, pleeeeeeease?" Lily tried her sweetest, most persuasive voice.

She needn't have bothered, as Mike would take any opportunity to annoy his older sister. He didn't say a word to Lily, but she could here the yelling as he jumped on her in bed. There was a kerfuffle when someone picked up the receiver, and then Marlene's voice was finally at the other end of the line.

"This better be good."

"My dearest friend, I would never wish such ill fortune on you if it wasn't of paramount importance," Lily teased.

"Oh, spit it out. I'm hungry now that I've risen from my beauty sleep, and I can smell bacon in the kitchen."

"Queen is coming to Cokeworth!" Lily squealed.

"Are you pulling my leg?" Marlene said grumpily.

"I wouldn't dream of it when it comes to Queen, Marls. What do you take me for? Some kind of ignoramus?" Lily giggled down the end of the receiver.

"You are far too chirpy for this ungodly hour."

"It's past ten," Lily deadpanned.

"Ha ha. So how are we going to get tickets?" Marlene questioned.

"Well, I got offered that job at the pool over the summer. Have you heard anything from the library yet?" Lily bit into her second piece of toast as she asked, and crumbs littered the top of er pyjama shirt.

"Nothing yet. Though I think that has something to do with the fact that Mrs Pince just has it our for me. I swear the old bat detests anything that's not a book," Marlene complained.

Lily could practically hear the sound of Marlene's eyes rolling through the receiver. Before she could respond, her sister appeared in the doorway of the kitchen, signalling to Lily that she wanted to use the phone as well. Lily put her hand over the receiver and looked at Petunia with irritance.

"What is it, Tuney?" Lily moaned.

"I'm expecting a call from Vernon any minute, I need you to get off the phone. Now," she said with finality.

"Why should I? Your phone calls aren't any more important than mine."

"Grow up Lily, just give me the-"