Going Rogue

by Cheeky Slytherin Lass

Lily doesn't even realize she's holding her breath until Albus Dumbledore gives the verdict. Only when those words fall from his lips does she realize her lungs are burning.

"As much as it pains me," the Order's leader says, his voice soft and cautious, "we have no choice but to follow protocol. Agent Black knew the risks when he infiltrated Riddle's inner circle."

Lily wants to scream. For a moment, she considers leaping from her seat and grabbing the older man. Perhaps she could shake some sense into him… or beat it into him.

She forces herself to stay calm. James catches her eye, but she barely acknowledges him. He will follow her lead. "We understand," she says sweetly. She offers him a smile that feels stiff and pained. Hopefully it looks convincing enough. "Sirius was a good agent, and he will be greatly missed."

Her boyfriend shifts in his chair, but he keeps quiet. Good. As much as she loves him, James isn't exactly known for having a level head. The last thing she needs is for him to cause a riot in the headquarters. Having one lover locked away is enough of an inconvenience. Lily doesn't know what she'd do if she had to break into her own agency's holding cells.

Albus doesn't dwell on Sirius a moment longer. He launches into the newest report on Riddle and his little crime family. Some scientist from Hungary has offered the infamous snake some value information or another. It's only a matter of time before there's another country held hostage by his endless supply of dangerous knowledge.

Ordinarily, Lily would find such matters interesting and give them her full attention. Now, however, she can't concentrate. Letting her personal life interfere with her work life is dangerous— in the field, it could get her killed— but she can't help it. Try as she might to focus on anything else, her thoughts return again and again to Sirius.

"Be alert at all times," Albus concludes. "Tensions are rising, and it's only a matter of time before you'll be called into action."

With that, the older man waves a dismissive hand, signalling the end of the meeting. Lily wants to bolt from headquarters as quickly as possible, but she remains calm and steady. Rash action will only cause suspicion, and she can't afford to have anyone but James follow her.

Her boyfriend matches her pace easily. She can see the tension in his body, but he keeps quiet. Lily wraps an arm around him, pressing herself closer to him. "I'm starving," she says. Her voice is steady. No one within earshot could ever guess that her world is falling apart. "Pizza, booze, telly?"

"Pizza, booze, telly," James agrees. He isn't as good at hiding his emotions. As strong as he is, he's prone to wearing his heart on his sleeve. His voice sounds strange, but Lily hopes it can be mistaken for exhaustion.

Now that food has been mentioned, she quickens her pace. Nothing suspicious here, even to the sharp eyes of her fellow agents. A girl's gotta eat, after all.

Once they leave the warehouse that serves as headquarters, Lily relaxes. Stepping back into the real world always feels like a fresh breath of air. Out here, there are no lies, government secrets, and cover-ups. She's just Lily Evans, an average twenty year old, enjoying the city with one of her favorite men.

James doesn't speak until they're a block away. Even then, he glances around as though they might have been followed. They haven't, of course; they're free to speak now. "You wanna tell me what the hell that was?" he asks. "Sirius is in trouble, and you think it's okay to leave him to rot? He's our—"

"I love him too," Lily reminds him. "But do you really think Albus will break protocol for one agent?"

"I'm sure you could convince him."