Perhaps It's Fate

done by Chiera on fanfiction.net

Lily was stuffing her laptop back into her bag, when movement on the periphery of her vision caught her attention. Something silvery and silky-looking fluttered onto the floor. Lily glanced up; the man who'd gone through the security check before her was shouldering his bulging backpack again and took his son's hand with a cheerful "Come along then, Harry!"

"Sir?" Lily called after him.

He continued walking, unable to hear her over the din of the airport.

Lily muttered a curse and hastily grabbed the rest of her items off the tray, stuffed them in her hand bag, then struggled a moment to slip on her heels. She scooped up the silvery cloth and hurried after the man and his son – as much as one could hurry in a pencil skirt.

"Sir?" she called again, straining to pick him out in the crowd. Noticing the unmistakable messy black hair, she pursed her lips in determination. She chased after him, her heels clicking decisively against the polished tile floor.

"Excuse me, sir, I think you dropped this."

The man finally halted and turned, looking quizzically at Lily. The boy holding his hand – five, maybe six years old – gasped. He broke free of his father's hold and ran over to Lily.

"My Invisibility Cloak!"

Lily's lips twitched, a single eyebrow arched. Invisibility Cloak?

The father gave her a sheepish shrug and mussed his hair.

Lily crouched to hand the cloth to the boy. "Here you go, love."

He took it, and clutched it to his chest. His eyes flickered to her face and he offered her a toothy grin.

"What do we say, Harry?" the father prompted, his hazel eyes twinkling behind his glasses.

"Thank you, ma'am!"

"You're welcome." She resisted the urge to ruffle his hair, every bit as messy as his father's.

Still clutching at his cloak, the boy went back to his father. The man nodded and smiled at Lily.

She allowed herself a second or two to look at them walk away, hand in hand, talking to each other in low voices.

A sweet pair, Lily mused. Then she dug around her hand bag and pulled out her boarding pass. She double-checked her gate, then peered around for the signs overhead.

She stopped once at the tax free shop to buy a bottle of water and a suitably trashy novel to entertain her for three hours she'd be sitting on the plane, then made a quick pop to the loo.

She glanced at her watch, and groaned. The security check had been quicker than she'd expected, she still had over an hour before the flight would depart. She smiled wryly as she strolled towards her gate. No better time than present to get started on her novel! …And if she would get truly bored out of her mind, she could always check her work e-mail.

Plan set, she checked the flight information on the screen at the gate to make sure she was in the right place, then plopped down to an empty seat.

She raised her head – and squarely met a pair of surprised and amused hazel eyes, staring at her from under raised eyebrows.

Lily blinked, taken aback. It was the man from earlier, sitting on the row of seats across from her. Waiting to board the same plane Lily was. His son, Harry, sat next to him, waving his feet in the air as he leafed through a comic book.

What were the odds? Lily fought the urge to shake her head and instead offered the man a polite if a little hesitant smile.

She received a crooked grin in return, accompanied by a greeting nod.