Life and Lemons

by lovesickjily

The landscape seemed to pass by in a blur as the car drove down the road, occasionally weaving in between other cars.

Harry loved riding in cars, or any vehicle for that matter.

He remembered when that one time they— Harry and his mother— took the London Underground to get to Aunt Petunia's house because driving would take too long, as she lived three hours away. That was the only reason he liked going to her house.

Every other part about going to her house Harry hated. Aunt Petunia had yelled at his mummy because she had Harry out of marriage, and she called her a bunch of mean words. Harry hated seeing his mummy cry; she was one of the two best people in the world— the other being his daddy— and she didn't deserve it. Harry thought it was stupid that his mummy was being treated poorly when she had come up with the idea for them to catch up on everything. Mummy was being a nice and caring sister.

"Stop it! Mummy didn't do anything to you!" Harry had yelled out, but Lily had told him that it wasn't his battle to fight.

Harry had scrambled to call his daddy to come pick them up, as he didn't like it when his mummy was sad and he had a feeling that his daddy could make things better. In the meantime, Harry gave his mummy as many hugs and comforting words as he could in the guest room.

When James did show up, Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon had bellowed at him to leave, that he wasn't wanted there. Harry thought his daddy was so cool, as he told them to shove off and he walked into the house anyway.

Harry watched his daddy give his mummy the biggest hug in the world, whispering a bunch of reassuring words into her ear. He wanted to say that he already tried to make Mummy feel better, that there was no need, but his daddy was a professional at making people happy. He knew what what was doing.

They had walked out to James's car not soon after, and his daddy asked him to wait in the car while he and mummy had an adult talk. Harry felt left out— he wanted to know what they were talking about— but he knew it was not up to him to decide. He chose to stare out the window, making up stories for the families living in the houses nearby.

His parents got into the car, his daddy making occasion comments about miscellaneous things as he drove and getting a laugh from his mummy each time. His daddy urged her to go to sleep, that the drive would be long, and soon after, she fell asleep on his shoulder. Harry saw a relaxed expression on his dad's face.

Harry had thought that day would be the day his mummy and daddy would be together, and they could all be one happy family, but everything went back to normal as it did before, where he would alternate between living with each parent every week.

He loved both of his parents dearly and equally, but he didn't like that living arrangement. He thought it'd be much better if they all lived together.

Harry felt the car coming to a stop, and he saw that he was at his daddy's house. He forgot how quick it was to go from mummy to daddy's house; they only lived a few minutes away from one another.

"Remember Harry, don't do anything that I wouldn't do, and please don't give your daddy a hard time," his mummy reminded him as she picked up his bag from the car floor.

"Don't do anything that I would be willing to do," a deep voice chuckled, that voice belonging to his dad. He took the bag from his mummy's hand and gave her a small smile. "Lily."

"James." She gave him a curt nod.

"Harry!" he beamed, wanting to be part of their name exchange, which made his dad ruffle his hair in response.