You Know My Mom Thinks We are Dating?

by Where The Stars End

Lily and James had been friends for over 5 years. They met through friends in high school but as that group fell apart, they moved together. They always hung out whenever holiday breaks allowed. They'd been through a lot in those five years.

James was the first person Lily told about her mom getting diagnosed with cancer. Two months into her mom being sick and Lily hadn't told a soul. She didn't want to be pitted. But she told James everything. Crying during a free fourth period senior year. That same year that James had told Lily about how he missed college application deadlines, and compared to their friends, how adverge he felt.

While they hadn't gotten close till senior year, Lily had liked James since sophomore year. It was during a speech and debate meeting did she see just how sweet he could be. How kind. But alas, it was not meant to be. That very night James asked out Marlene and Lily was left to listen to old Taylor Swift on repeat.

But Lily made herself move on. Though he may not like her back, James was still a wonderful friend. And she wanted him in her life. No matter what. But between fall of freshman year of college and summer of junior year, Lily started to notice things.

Like how he'd talk about this perfect date idea he would have. Or talk about coming to visit her at college, and sleep in a hammock outside her dorm since boys weren't allowed in. How close he'd sit next to her. When ever they sat down to dinner, he'd always picked the seat closest to her when every other seat was open. How he's tease her by throwing his hat on her head and insisting how good she looked when Lily knew she wasn't a hat person. How he'd ask her about his love horoscope from shitty teen magazines in the gas station. Talking to Lily about love and sex, and how he didn't think he could ever been in a relationship because he couldn't be that open and honest. The list goes on and on.

But no matter how long the list got, Lily couldn't move forward. In their five years together, Lily had confessed her feelings twice. And both times she got turned down.

I'm just not what you think you need. He said.

She'd play this line over and over in her head late at night. But you're what I want, she'd think back. Hugging her pillow to her chest before dreaming of the life they could have.

Lily wrote countless poems about him. With lines like,

I want to see the way you see me

How you smile brightest

When I wake up next to you

And how your hand jumps to hold mine

No matter the mood

And,

Being with you is so easy

It always has been

You are the Nick to my Jess

Down to the bangs and bad timing

They spent one night on the beach and she wrote six poems in the span of a day. All about that one night. With the bonfire roaring, James playing Ukulele. Lily laying in the grass trying to make James laugh for his photos. How James walked her to her car, even though it was ten feet away.

And Lily over analyzed everything. How could she not with all the little things he did to drive her crazy! They both loved music, constantly sharing songs back and forth, so she tried not to let her mind run too wild when he played her a song one warm summers eve. The song playing over and over in her head for days.

Say it first

Don't just say it, don't just say it back to me

I need words, use your words to love me actively