Nobody Stays Dead

by AppoApples

Nobody Stays Dead (In This Fucking Universe)

I swear to you, in this moment when all of the world is watching and filled with doubts, when the entire world is slowly dying, that I will never leave your side. I want to live my life with you, and I want to die with you. - Lily Potter

I don't know what's in store for us, but I do know that true love outlasts everything. It outlasts doubt, hate, war, misfortune, and most of all death. I vow to you to always be beside you. Not only in this life, but the next. - James Potter

Chapter 1 - The Stag and the Doe

"Yeh climb up there, jus' behind the wing joint," said Hagrid, "an' mind yeh don' pull any of his feathers out, he won' like that. . . "

Harry put his foot on the top of Buckbeak's wing and hoisted himself onto its back. Buckbeak stood up. Harry wasn't sure where to hold on; everything in front of him was covered with feathers.

"Go on, then!" roared Hagrid, slapping the Hippogriffs hindquarters.

Without warning, twelve-foot wings flapped open on either side of Harry, he just had time to seize the Hippogriff around the neck before he was soaring upward.*

It wasn't the same experience as flying on a broom, but there was something exhilarating about not being the one in control of the power and might below him.

Buckbeak took him high over the trees, and soon, Harry was comfortable enough to open his arms wide and let the wind blow over his face.

The sky and wind were his home.

But after fifteen minutes Harry began to worry they were flying too far. He had never appreciated how large the Forbidden Forest was.

When they landed in a small clearing, Harry knew he was nowhere close to the castle.

"Buckbeak?"

The hippogryph knelt and Harry obediently got off despite his confusion.

Looking up at the hippogryph he was raising his head to sent the air, Harry asked, "Aren't you going to take me back to Hagrid?"

Buckbeak squawked, then took a running leap into the sky, leaving Harry behind.

Harry cursed, looking around to find that he wasn't just deep in the forest. He was stranded in the middle of nowhere, lost with no easy way back.

Harry began walking in the direction he thought was correct but he hadn't taken more than a few steps when he spotted a furred shape in the trees.

Please let it be a unicorn, a living unicorn, preferably.

He stood perfectly still as a stag appeared before him.

It was big with an impressive crown of antlers.

Harry nearly jumped out of his skin as a wet nose touched his neck.

Harry spun, taking several steps backward.

But it was just another deer, a doe with chestnut hair that was almost orange red. She flapped her ears at him, her fluffy white tail wagging.

She was adorable. He noted that her black eyes looked sad even as curiosity brought her closer to him.

He let out an exclamation another wet nose touched his ear, he spun on the offending stag.

There was mischief in his black eyes. And as Harry glared him down, the buck picked his own nose with an extremely long tongue.