The Icing on Top of the Cake

by welcometonerdworld

"This is it, boys. Are you ready?" James stands at the front of the bakery, arms spread wide.

"As I'll ever be." Remus heaves a sigh.

"No." Peter bites his lip.

"Shit. Why are we doing this?"

James hits Sirius round the back of the head. "Because we're going to run a business, goddamnit. And this is going to be the best bakery ever."

"Sure, Prongs. Sure."

"Fuck, Sirius! How many times have I told you not to touch the flour?"

A powdery white dog pouts mournfully at his friend from the floor, whilst Remus runs a sticky hand through his hair. It is day one in the bakery, and already they've made a mess.

James comes jogging into the kitchen. "Sirius? Do you have those pastries for the display or –" He sees Sirius on the floor and groans, "Mate. Didn't I tell you that Moony would hex your balls off if you didn't hurry the hell up?"

Sirius whimpers and transforms. Standing in his human form, he mutters an apology and sets about cleaning. Remus rolls his eyes and yells for Peter to hurry up and clean the damn baking tray – he knew they were going to need more than five – and James goes back into the shop, humming on his way.

The door bell jingles and Peter almost squeals with excitement. Sirius grins, "First customer of the day!" and sticks his head into the shop to see James' reaction.

A girl, probably about the same age as the boys has just entered the shop, smiling. She's wearing a black dress with decorative flowers all over it that stops just above her knees and James has to blink a few times before he can speak.

"Hello!" he says brightly, "Welcome to Mooncakes, what can I get you today?"

The girl smiles a little and replies, "Nice place. You're new, right? Oh, I'd like two of these, please." She points to the éclairs that sit in the display and James grins.

"Yeah, first day. And good choice," he says, taking two of them and placing them into a paper bag, "These are great."

"You're the tester, I suppose?" She smiles.

"Of course. All food stuffs are tried and tested by yours truly." He hands the bag over, "That'll be one ninety-nine, please."

She hands a few coins over and turns. James watches her open the door, but just before she leaves, he calls out, "What's your name?"

She looks at him, "Wouldn't you like to know. Bye, James!"

She leaves, and James gapes at her as she walks down the road outside. Then there is a tap on his shoulder. Sirius is standing behind him, apron adorned and smirking. "Someone's got a little crush, eh?"

James shakes his head in disbelief. "I don't understand," he mutters, staring in wonder out of the window. "How did she know my name?"

There's a pause in which Sirius' shoulders shake and he tries not to laugh at his friend. Then, "You've got a nametag, mate."

"Oh."

James does not see the mysterious girl in the flowery dress for another week. It's been a mixed one – they had too many customers on one day, and too little on another. Sirius complains that he doesn't like all the early mornings, but generally, everything's fine.

It's Peter's shift when the girl next comes in and she's not smiling. His welcoming tone is ignored by her, and instead of being polite, she almost snaps for a doughnut. Of course, this is followed by an apology, one that Peter accepts, but there are other customers in the bakery. The girl leaves and Peter soon forgets to tell James that a red headed girl had come in at all.