I'm an Exhibitionist

done by elanev91 on fanfiction.net

Lily Evans loved school trips — really, she did. The chance to get out of school for a few hours, get the kids out of their normal environment, teach them something new — she bloody loved it.

The problem was, though, that some kids didn't respond well to the disruption of their routine. And when those kids are the same ones that already enjoy giving you the occasional headache in class anyway — well, sometimes school trips are hell on Earth no matter how much you like them.

Tyler Cunningham had spent most of the bus trip to the Natural History Museum pestering Oliver Price about some fucking game Oliver had apparently snuck on the bus and then Oliver had started crying and then, while Lily was dealing with that (because of course the parent chaperones were being their usually unhelpful selves), Tyler had decided he could go into Oliver's bag and retrieve said game and play it without asking and it wasn't long before that escalated into a shouting match.

The driver stopped the bus on the side of the bloody road while they sorted it out because he said he "couldn't drive through all this nonsense".

Lily wanted to do a lot of shouting about how he better start fucking driving because they were going to be later than they already were and they could cancel their fucking tour and make it so that this whole goddamn bus trip was absolutely pointless torture, but she kept most of it in her head.

And thank god, because she really couldn't afford any more issues today.

When they finally pulled up outside the museum, they were nearly half an hour late, Tyler and Oliver were still bickering, and Lily was already so close to the end of her goddamn rope that she had half a mind to just leave them all there and go home.

As it was, she herded her group up the museum stairs as quickly as she could and prayed to the universe that their tour hadn't been cancelled. She slid to the front of the group as they walked into the entrance hall, led the way towards the information desk just inside the door.

'Hi,' Lily said, smiling as sanely as she could manage at the woman behind the desk. 'Sorry, we're — Tyler!'

Lily whipped around at the sound of renewed scuffling behind her back and shot the boy a look as he hastily rearranged his features into something he apparently thought resembled innocence. 'Do you want to be invited to participate in future school trips?'

The boy nodded mutely but was, quite clearly, suppressing a mutinous expression. Lily frowned at him. 'Then I suggest that you behave yourself. Otherwise, you'll find yourself in the Headmistress' office the minute we get back to school.'

Tyler mumbled something Lily didn't catch and she raised a stern eyebrow. 'Excuse me?'

'I said, "yes, ma'am".'

Lily was quite sure that wasn't at all what he'd said, but decided to cut her losses and not press the point.

She turned back to face the desk and found the receptionist looking at her with a look that could not have more clearly communicated her boredom. 'Sorry about that,' Lily said. 'I'm — we're scheduled for a school tour, but it was supposed to start at ten and I'm so sorry we're late, but I'm hoping —'

'Ms Evans? Barclay Primary School?'

Lily sighed in relief as she looked up from the desk (and it's profoundly unhelpful staff) and turned towards her whoever had addressed her.

A tall, dark haired bloke around her own age came striding out of the entryway just to the right of the information desk. His hands were in his pockets and there was a smooth, easy grace about his step, though the coolness of it was thrown into sharp relief by the slightly lopsided position of his black frame glasses and the way his hair was standing almost entirely on end.