have you never seen a fire truck?

by tonguetide

J

They can keep this a secret, right? Just between them?

He doesn't want to tell his mates. Not a single person, but especially not them, because they would never let it go.

He tells them anyway because he needs to; he can't keep secrets.

L

She doesn't want to tell anyone.

She's so embarrassed it hurts — physically — to think about.

But her puffy eyes and wet blouse give her away, and Mary calls Marlene back to their dorm immediately.

J

Peter gapes. Remus furrows his brows, worried.

Sirius laughs so hard that he drops his water glass.

It shatters on the floor.

"You what?" he barks, chortling obnoxiously. James hopes he falls into the glass.

L

"You what?" Marlene screeches.

Unbidden tears escape.

"I didn't mean to," she says unnecessarily, pathetically. Mary rushes to where she's sitting on the bed. Lily leans in willingly to her embrace. "But—it," she chokes on her tears, and then she's sobbing. "It was all my fault."

J

"It wasn't her fault," James defends, glaring at Sirius, fiddling with the hem of his shirt.

Sirius raises an amused eyebrow. "No? Her car hit yours on its own?"

James scowls.

Sirius barks with laughter. "This is bloody golden!" he exclaims.

"Is she alright?" Remus asks.

"Look at him. She's fine. If she was hurt he would be going mental."

Ignoring him, James turns to Remus. "I...I think so. She was crying," he scratches the back of his neck and winces at the memory, "right before she left, but I think that was just because she was embarrassed?"

Remus nods. "That's good."

L

"That's horrible," Mary whispers soothingly. "I'm so sorry."

Lily only sobs harder, burying her face into Mary's neck. "He's going to hate me," she says, hiccupping each word.

"It's impossible, lovey," Mary says, stroking her hair.

"You—you should've seen his face," she cries. "It was—so—so awful."

"Was he angry with you?" Marlene snaps suddenly, defensively, whipping around to face them. "He has no right—"

"He does have a right," Lily sobs. "He—he has ev—every right."

"Was he, though?" Mary asks softly. "Angry?"

Lily shakes her head. Her lungs tremble with the strain of each word. "I di—didn't talk to—him."

J

"Did you—" Remus drags a weary hand down his face, sighs. "Did you talk to her?"

"A little," James nods, then lowers his head. "It was more like shouting, actually."

"Shouting?" Peter asks.

"James," Remus admonishes, "you shouldn't've—"

"No, no, not like angry shouting," James says, frustrated. Sirius chuckles. Rising, James starts to pace the room. "She...she ran away when I walked over! What was I supposed to do? I didn't know if she was hurt or—or if she was upset...and she was far away and so I just...well."