Chapter Four

Olivia Thorne

One more file for the day, it was late later then I would have thought, but my lack of attention to the outside world now meant that it was hours later and had started to get dark.

Getting to the bottom of the page I signed the line next to Adrian's own signature and closed the file before putting it on the corner of my desk for my own assistant to take to it's correct location.

Standing I walked over to where my purse sat in my office which like Adrian's was quite big though it lacked the dark tones, and grandeur.

A single desk sat near the window with a shelf on the one wall for my files and things then on the other was a fireplace with two leather chairs and a coffee table, because I couldn't work in the same position all day.

Picking up my cream coloured Birkin bag I double checked that it had everything before I jumped from a knock against my doorframe.

"Sorry" Adrian says giving me an apologetic look.

"You're quiet, there's nothing you can do about it" I say sliding the bag over my arm into the crook of my elbow.

"Still not like it's a new thing" he says straightening.

"No but I'm used to it" I say walking out of my office and pulling the door shut.

"I would hope so" Adrian says walking towards the elevator.

As the doors opened we both stepped inside and were carried down to the ground floor of the building.

I would admit that it was a bit odd having my boss also be the same person I lived, ate, and slept with but as time went on I got used to it, and even enjoyed it, being the Chief Operations Officer for Winters Group was a busy job. But Adrian was also good with picking the people that fell into their positions, granted he also knew how to guide people into the position he could tell they best suited and could give them what they wanted.

The plus side of him being able to read a room as if everyone was telling him how they felt and what they wanted.

Getting to the bottom floor we both began walking towards the front door, before the receptionist's phone rang, and she quickly picked it up to answer.

"Good evening Winters Group Reception... yes... definitely?" she then must have looked up.

"Mr. Winters" she says, and Adrian stops to turn.

"Yes Laura" Adrian says unlocking his car at the bottom of the front steps.

"It's the head of security he want's to speak to you" Laura says seeming relatively urgent.

"Tell him to call me directly please" he says before turning back towards the door and walking out the doors as his phone rings, and as he went to reach for it a bang echoed through the streets before something flew past me and Adrian hitting the marble steps seconds after he pulled me out of the way down for both of us to drop behind his car when I recognized the sound.

That was a gun shot.

Adrian then answered his phone.

"Yes, I can tell there is a shooter me and Miss Thorne are behind my car taking cover, but I have no idea where that shot came from" Adrian says into the phone deadly calm while holding my hand comfortingly. "Identify the location, and get security out here please... yes quickly, and armed".

He then hung up, and opened WGI's Headquarters cameras before waiting for another shot which came down shattering the glass above our heads, making me let out a terrified yell.