Chapter Sixty Two

Olivia Thorne

Hours passed mostly filled with the competitive bidding of various people for expensive art and decorative pieces some reaching as high as twenty million dollars.

Adrian had bought several pieces but unlike some of the people here I know he'd put them up in his homes and get to see them many other bidders seemed to be here through proxy via various assistants on phones to the people they were there in proxy for.

As the final piece was brought up Adrian seemed to stare at it with amusement, like he knew something that the people here didn't.

"What are you smiling about?" I ask.

"It's a replica, the real one is hanging in our hallway" he replies crossing his arms, "there's nothing wrong with it, it's a nice painting but I do wonder how high the auction price will be".

"How much is it worth if it were real".

"Twenty million pounds" Adrian states bluntly as bidder cards get raised and numbers get called out as the bid climbs from one million to ten in seconds, it was actually rather chaotic as bids rose higher and higher attempting to push others off, but in the end I'm also pretty sure many assistants here have been told to buy it since the bids currently totalled eighteen million dollar.

"Final bid at eighteen million going once, going twice, sold" the auctioneer called out and Adrian just shook his head.

"Millions for charity from a fake piece of art, that's impressive" he says raising his glass to his lips.

"Surprised?" I ask, and he just shakes his head.

"No, its a room of London's richest, most of these people make eighteen million pounds in a week" he mutters, "yet most of the time the only reason they do it is because they get something out of it besides gratitude".

"Wealthiest person in the room is also the one with the largest heart how ironic" I laugh and he turns to look at me confusion mottling his face.

"How is it ironic?".

"Because you have given away hundreds of billions even though the world often calls you a devil when you're the complete opposite".

"Not everyone gets to see the true me bellissima, that's just for you and a few other people" Adrian says emptying his glass while servers walk through the hall bringing people food and drink all of which looked expensive and it probably was.

When they got to our table the waiter set down the lobster and swapped the empty champagne glass for the glass of Lyre he had ordered, which Adrian accepted with a polite nod while simultaneously thanking the waiter something I had always liked about him, he didn't let class division blind him, if anything he probably gave more to people less fortunate then him rather then taking it from them.

It was actually one of the reasons I agreed to become COO of Winters Group was because I supported Adrian's belief and desire to create something that helped people in more then just a base level, and when doing it I got the chance to become a part of that same process of helping others and giving to people that need it. Though at the same time there is a damn near thirty year reputation of Winters Group being the private organization for the world.

"Hey Olivia" Adrian says and I look up to see him preparing to flick a piece of lobster at me.

"I am wearing a really nice dress so don't miss" I warn.

"Never" he smirk sending it up and directly into my mouth which somehow stops without making me want to gag.

"That came in like a missile" I say as I chew the piece of lobster, which tasted excellent along with lemon and seasoning.

"You're welcome" he smirks before going back to his meal, and whiskey.

After a while I noticed an elderly couple approaching us, quickly recognizing them as Adrian's grandparents.

"Adrian" I say and he looks up before following my gaze to them, and standing with a smile on his face to greet them.

"Hi grandpa" he says wrapping his arms around him in what Adrian still called a bear hug.

"Hi Adrian" the older man says letting go of my thinner but equally as tall boyfriend.

Adrian's grandpa was a very square man even down to his head shape, and strong jaw, which when looking at the remaining family he had I could see the things thay connected them, like grey eyes, and dark hair, though for two people in their seventies neither Winters family elder looked like they were that old.

"No hug for me?" his grandma says jokingly and Adrian turned to her to give her a hug.

"No definitely not" he replies before letting go".

"So anything catch your eye?" Adrian's grandpa asks?

"A few yes, though I'm sure they'll get spread out to decorate my various homes" Adrian says.

"Unlike the other big wigs here you'll see the damn things".

"Yes I will" he says before turning to the table, "please join us".

"No we won't disrupt you two, just thought we'd stop by" his grandma says.

"Well then thank you, it's always good to see you both" Adrian smiles, and they both return it before walking away.

When he sat back down I stared over at him waiting for him to say something, but he didn't.

"You usually comment after an interaction with someone" I point out.

"They're my family, and during the time that we are here we will likely see them" Adrian says giving me a small smile as he finishes off his meal.

"Probably it's odd thinking that they were really the only family contact you had while attending Rosenberg".

"It was actually quite enjoyable, it's also probably why my British accent is more noticeable then Kate's".

"I can't imagine Kate having a British accent" I admit with a laugh.

"Why not?" Adrian muses folding his hands and looking over them at me.

"Because she's never had it even slightly, you on the other hand" I say meeting his eyes.

"You like it and I know you do".

"Yes I do".

Exhaling a humoured breath he finishes his glass, "wanna get out of here?" he smirks.

"And go where?" I pose.

"Wherever you want as long as it includes a long drive through the english countryside" Adrian says pulling out the key and standing from where he sat.

I then followed after him as we both walked out of the event, down to the car which Adrian unlocked allowing me to walk around to the passenger side while he tipped the valet what seemed to be a reasonably large sum of money before joining me in the vehicle.

"Being generous in public, who are you and what have you done with Adrian Winters?" I tease while he just shakes his head in reaponse.

"I'm in a giving mood today" he replies with a smile before driving off.

An on time update for you all, also I'm attempting to plan their Paris trip which is what I intend to end the book with since it's rather important for Adrian and Olivia, also comment, vote, and share. Anyways

Peace✌