Chapter Thirty Four

It was the end of another court day tomorrow would mark the end of this trial before a week break while the jury reviews the swaths of evidence, testimonies and see where their own common sense steps in to influence what their verdict is.

I also wanted to do something special for tonight so I scheduled a dinner reservation at the River Cafe for Olivia and I.

We both walked out of the court house where we were met by dozens of reporters and for once I decided I'd answer questions on the way out.

Crossing the lobby I pushed open the doors before questions were called out towards the both of us.

"Mr. Winters is it true that you were almost killed?".

"Unfortunately yes but it hasn't lessened my resolve" I reply.

"Ms. Thorne what was it like that night".

"One of the scariest moments but we got through it together" Olivia answers with a small smile.

"Mr. Winters, Mr. Winters. What is your thoughts about the trial of your attempted assassin".

"I think that he will receive a fair verdict, that is after all what our courts are paid to do" I say watching as Elijah opens the door to the back of the Maybach.

"Ms. Thorne do you have any comment about the secrecy of Winters Group?".

"That question isn't important to current events, now excuse us" she dismisses before we both slid into the back of the car, while cameras flashed outside.

Elijah then got into the front seat of the car and drove us away from the courthouse.

"Where am I taking you?" he asks looking in the rear mirror.

"Just back to One57 please Elijah" I say looking out the window at New York.

The drive was both quick and quiet as we passed through the city.

When we got back to the skyscraper, the car parked and both Olivia and I got out while Elijah waited for us.

I then walked up the steps and entered the building followed by Olivia who was searching through her purse for the fob to enter our penthouse even though I had mine already out.

"Olivia I have mine" I say holding it up before pressing it to the scanner and stepping into the elevator.

"And I just found mine" she says.

"I'm not even surprised".

As the car rose higher up the back of the building I looked out over New York and spotting Winters Group Headquarters towering over what was around it, I even remember the construction of it when it had reached the height of the One World Trade Center there had been some outcry about it but not much as WGI represented a new era for New York Business but still I had always known it would be a controversial project.

A moment later the doors opened and we walked into the penthouse.

"So what's the plan now?" Olivia asks, "or do you not have one?".

Tossing my dress jacket over the back of the couch I turned to face her.

"I may have booked a dinner reservation for us at the River Café" I say leaning on the sofa.

"Then I better change into something better suited for going for dinner" she says looking down at her rather formal outfit.

"You and I both" I laugh before picking up my jacket, and walking upstairs and into our bedroom.

I then took off what I was wearing and put it in the washing machine so that it and what I had dirtied could be clean and put away before we head out tomorrow night to Waccabuc.