Chapter Thirty Two

The following day I once more sat in court waiting for the session to begin this time however I had coffee at my disposal, and the energy to pay attention.

Me and Olivia had also been at the courthouse since six in the morning

"Good morning everyone, we will be continuing from where we left off yesterday, defense please begin".

"Thank you your honour, we've established profession, but we all have done things to survive or to live, my client is not viable for his actions, things get sticky in every aspect of life, and it wasn't my client's wish to perform harm to anyone but that is what his job entailed was for the payment from people who held large amounts of power in what I will call the dark underbelly of society and could do things to him if he didn't do what he was asked, it was a life or death situation, either rebel and not take the hit, or attempt to kill Mr. Winters. So I will ask all of you this if you had to do something regardless of if you wanted to or not just so that you wouldn't lose your life would you? Most people's reply would be yes so why hold a view of vindication towards a man who was simply doing his job".

"That would be different if he was being shot at" I mutter.

"Mr. Winters do you have something you'd like to say to the court?" the Judge asks turning his attention to me.

Evan then stood straightening his suit, before walking up to the front. "My client stated that if the defense were on the opposite side of the shots it would be different, and I am inclined to agree, it wasn't just Mr. Winters who was at risk of being hit, there were people on the streets, walking the sidewalks along with the Chief Operating Officer of Winters Group huddled down beside Mr. Winters attempting to stay out of the way of the shots, there was also recordings from the camera's on that street showing that up to eight shots were fired many of which hit my clients car a four and a half million dollar Pagani Huayra BC, so the statement of it was just his job is rather weak in this regard, had your client wanted to not kill Mr. Winters and put several hundred other people at risk he wouldn't have fired eight purposely fired bullets at him with such blatant disregard of safety" Evan says, "Attempted murder is also an inexcusable crime it's classed as second degree murder, there is a reason it was deemed a crime punishable with a life sentence, and we all should maybe ask ourselves why that might be, and more importantly why a man who has murdered over a dozen people should be let out of this room with the free will to walk the streets as a murderer".

"Thank you Mr. Wade" the judge says before Evan sat down, "I believe we have another video segment please play that".

A moment later the video recording of the questioning began to play and we all watched this time in silence as what Evan had said a moment prior was confirmed and the man at the defense table who shot at me sat looking almost mildly defeated but I honestly couldn't care less.

I did feel pity for certain people whose lives I ruined without actual intent to do so but right now I didn't feel anything but pleasure knowing that I had the better chance of winning this whole case.

"I would like to call forward witnesses your honour all that I've supplied the names of starting with Kimberly Fallon" Evan says and a woman walks forward, and it's then that I remember she was a member of WGI Headquarters security.

This should be good.

"Ms. Fallon I understand you were at the scene when the first shot was fired can you tell us where you were?".

"I was inside of Winters Group Headquarters finishing off my shift at the time of the first shots" Kimberly replies.

"Did you intervene into the scene where shots were being fired?".

"Yes, I helped the COO Ms. Thorne back into the building to safety, then up to a waiting helicopter before returning downstairs to help organize a way to get Mr. Winters out of harms way".

"Where did the shots come from?".

"The top of a nearby building".

"Is this man the shooter you saw?".

"Yes, I was one of the people who helped extract him from the rooftop safely".

"Thank you, you may return to your seat".

Three more witnesses were all brought forwards to give testemony, and all coincided proving that there was several shots all well placed, and on the same agreed target.

"We're going to call that lunch, you all may go be back in an hour" the judge says striking his gavel.

Standing I walked out of the room with Olivia by my side before we passed through the lobby and out down the steps which were media free.

Getting to the bottom of the steps I walked around the hood of my Range Rover and slid into the front seat soon followed by Olivia pulled her door shut.

"So where to?" she asks.

"I need actual food so the penthouse" I reply before starting the engine and driving away towards our secondary home.

As I got to One57 I pulled into the garage, and parked before we got out, and walked to the elevator, pressing the button to summon it to our floor.

When the doors opened we both stepped inside, and were carried up to the penthouse.

"What do you want bellissima".

"Honestly nothing fancy, besides we do have to be back to the court house in fifty minutes".

"Alright well I'm going to have soup and grilled cheese" I say tossing my grey suit jacket over the back of the sofa before walking into the kitchen.

"I'll make the sandwiches" Olivia says while I pour two cans of tomato soup into a pot and mix in milk until I think it's creamy enough.

"Thank you" I say looking over my shoulder at her.

"You're welcome, also how are doing with this whole case?".

"I would rather be in Waccabuc with you enjoying a week of not having to be in the office instead of sitting ten feet from the person who shot at both of us" I grit, before catching my tone. "Sorry".

"For being upset about having to be near someone who wished both of us harm I get it".

"I don't really care what happened to me, you are my priority forever that's my chosen obligation to protect you no matter what" I say looking at Olivia who stood laying cheese on three of the six slices of bread.

"I know how true that is, I still remember you coming to find me that night in eleventh grade".

"I still refuse to regret shooting Demetri, no one get's to hurt you ever" I state whisking the soup.

"And you assigned me bodyguards" Olivia laughs.

"I also convinced you to live in my house in Senior year when I found out someone wanted to harm us".

"I wouldn't have been surprised if the PPO's were all walking around with automatics".

"They were I wasn't going to take chances I still don't" I admit sighing and leaning against the counter.

"We both know that" she says, "and to me you won't ever be a devil even if the media calls you it".

"Oh trust me they will be calling me it until the day I die" I mutter shaking my head slightly while Olivia laughs.

"Good thing I'll be here to make sure you don't kill anyone" she says giving me a smile, and I am reminded once again why I relented being so cold to the world, was this pretty brunette who refused to let me stay like that.

"For both you and the possible victims" I jokingly remark my voice filled with sarcasm.

"Yeah I don't want to see you go to jail".

"Good thing I won't".

I then turn back to the pot and begin stirring once again and for a moment I forget that I have a court case going on several blocks away, as is the luxury of being in love deeper then I ever thought I could.

I'm not going to go day by day of the court case just so you all know but it's the two week time period I'll cover, also comment, vote, and share. Anyways

Peace✌