5.

Ariya:

The load in the dryer was almost done, I had my back pressed to the wall as Rylan sat atop the machine with his legs swinging. I heard the door open and glanced back to see Amara with her laundry.

"Night loads?" She asked while setting her basket a top another machine and sorting the clothes.

"Yup."

After closing the machine she walked up to Rylan and hopped up beside him.

"And who are you?" She asked tentatively.

"I am Rylan, who are you?" He giggled.

"I'm Amara, I happen to live right beside you." She tapped his nose with her pointer finger.

"I've never seen you?" He asked, I lightly tapped his shoulder with a scold.

"Be nice." I mumbled.

"Sorry."

"How old are you?" She asked, slightly leaning her head down to converse with Rylan.

"Four!" He helped up the four fingers with a smile and I chuckled. She laughed while rubbing a hand over his head.

"So he's starting school in the spring?"

I nodded while walking over the machine to check the clothes and pat Rylan on the head. He giggled while pushing me away.

"I'm gonna make lots of friends!" He jumped.

"I bet you will." She smiled.

"Which school did you enrol him in?" She asked while leaning back on her palms with a furrowed brow.

"St Paul's."

"That's right by my Uni, if you ever need someone to pick him up I'm right there." She smiled. I nodded.

"I'll note that."

We all sat in a peaceful silence until the heaving sound of Rylan's breath caught my ear. I twisted head to see him with a hand on his chest while Amara started down at him with wide eyes. I quickly walked up to him while pulling out his inhaler. I pulled the plastic cap off and held it to his mouth. I pushed the metal part inwards and let him inhale the medicine. His breathing began to slow and I rubbed his back.

"Is he okay?" She whispered.

"Yeah, it's dusty down here." I nodded.

"My brother had asthma." Amara said while itching her chin.

"Had?" I asked, pulling Rylan into my arms and letting him rest his head on my shoulder.

"He died."

"I'm so sorry." I shook my head.

"It's alright, he wasn't.. in pain or anything."

I moved around to coo Rylan as the machine went off and we both jerked.

I put Rylan on my back as I packed the dried laundry in the basket, finally closing the machine and waving bye.