37

Ariya

"What are you doing after work?" Khyson asked me, leaning back in the chair on the other side of my desk.

"Pick up, Rylan. Wallow in my own self pity, what do you expect me to do?" I laughed lowly while staring back at him.

"Can I come?"

Khyson and I have been talking for a while, and in my defence it can't exactly ignore him. But the good thing is I don't think he's caught onto Rylan.

"Why, you wanna see a bunch of snotty old kindergarteners with head lice and the cold?" I teased him as he retorted his face back.

"Yes, I want to embody the full experience." He pulled his hands down while taking a deep breath before I tossed a pen at his body.

"Isn't your car here?" I asked.

"No." He quickly responded. I nodded, remembering he didn't drive.

"Okay, well in exactly forty five minutes come back and we can descend together." I smiled. He nodded before making his way into his office.

-

"You know, school is not all that." I told him while parallel parking into the pick up zone of Rylan's school.

"From what I can remember it was." He winked at me and I gagged.

"So, what time do they get out?" He added while resting his chin in his hand.

"3:45." I nodded while popping my lip between my teeth. I watched him eye the doors before turning to me.

"Right when that bell goes off you better not loose my son, it gets pretty hectic." I rested my arm on the wheel. I wasn't lying either, the mass pool of children was traumatizing to one who's never seen it. The scrambling kids looking for their parents, the older kids rushing out to go hang out, the teachers frantically hanging onto the students.

"I-I won't."

"His teacher, Mrs. C she has black framed glasses and like a blonde bob, you'll see her." I could see his fidgeting fingers until the bell rang and he pulled on the door and stepped out of the car.

Frantically looking around the sea of children running from the doors.

I spotted Rylan, but could he? I watched in amusement as he scurried to the group of small children before picking up Rylan on his back. Rylan smiled as him as he smiled back. But before he could leave the teacher pulled him back.

He pointed to my car and I smiled while waving my hand at her. She nodded at him and he began to walk towards the car. As Rylans eyes met mine his face fell.

"What's wrong?" I asked Rylan as Khyson placed him in his car seat.

"Someone stole my car." He pouted.

"What?!"

"What?!"

Both of us asked at the same time.

"I spent a lot on that." Khyson complained.

"Who, who is it, show me." I got out of the car and leaned against Rylan's window.