6.

Ariya

"Please be safe and don't misbehave, okay?" I bent down to lecture him. He nodded and I gave him one last hug.

"I got it, mama."

"Okay, I love you." My voice was shakey.

It's always been just Rylan and I, even when I moved out of Zion's. Us against the world.

Now I was letting him go.

I swear to god, if your cry. I scolded myself.

"I love you more, bye mama!" He yelled as I watched his big backpack bounce on his back, his small body disappearing within the kids.

I sighed and got back into the car. Opening my phone I noticed my Lock Screen. It was a picture of Rylan and I, he clung to my side while we laid in bed. I smiled and finally clicked the button off before pulling out of the lot.

-

First day jitters, that's all it was. Jitters.

Just work, no biggie.

Work with your sons father.

I took a deep inhale and walked through the revolving doors. There Kameron sat on the reception desk while chatting with the young woman. She giggled and he flashed her a charming smile.

"Ah, Ariya!" He welcomed me and I chuckled.

"Good morning." I replied while walking up to the desk.

"I'll talk to you later Vera." He tapped the desk before his eyes met mine.

"Mr. Johnson tasked me with touring the building for you." He held his elbow out making me grab it as we walked into the elevator.

"Why thank you." I said.

We went through all of the floors, sales, service all that. And my heart was pounding when we reached the top.

"And this is where you will be working alongside yours truly." He bowed. I stared at the two large metal doors as his eyeline followed mine.

"Scared of the big guy?" He sighed. I shook my head and snapped out of it.

"You'll be fine, come on let me show you your office." The limited offices on this floor were clear glass, meaning you could see into each and every one of them.

Great, and mine was right in view of Mr. Johnson, just great.

"Nice view? Right?" Kameron said, I nodded with a small smile.

He dug through a filing cabinet before handing me a file.

"Here's a file of all the vacant properties in New York City, Mr. Johnson wants you to skim through them. My office is right there if you need anything, good luck." He said before leaving.

"Thanks." I smiled.

I watched him leave and settled in. I sat in the swivel chair and switched on the desktop. I dragged on a long sigh before spinning around in my chair.

I smiled to myself before the two metal doors opened and Khyson Johnson strutted out of his office. He stared straight at me before I hid my face behind the screen.

Ugh, kill me now.

-

My phone began to ring and I furrowed my brows before picking it up.

"Ariya?" It was Kameron.

"Kameron?" I asked.

"Mr. Johnson wants to see you, now."