51

Ariya

I held the envelope between my fingers, feeling the sweat arise in my palms.

"I just, I couldn't do it alone." I turned to him, glancing at him from the edge of his bed.

"It's now or never." He shrugged.

Khyson got into Brown, which is in Rhode Island. He got in on a sports scholarship but still decided to major in business.

"I'm afraid, I don't want us to spend these months dreading the end." I spoke sadly.

"What if we won't?"

"Can you do it, please?" I handed him the envelope, my hands shaking at the contact. I watched him eyeing my shaky limbs with a sympathetic smile before nodding.

"Yeah."

He ripped the corner open before sliding his finger through the top as the paper ripped. Using his fingers to pull the piece of paper out.

He unfolded the paper, his eyes scanning over the printed ink.

I bit my lip, looking down into my lap while squinting my eyes.

"Ariya." I could tell from his voice what the answer was.

I looked up, my neck seeming so suddenly heavy.

"Congrats." Was all he said before handing the paper back to me.

I forcefully grabbed it.

Ariya

Dear Ariya,

Congratulations, and welcome to the University of California, Berkeley.

"I can always visit on weekends." He brought up the thought we'd both been ignoring.

"We'll be on the other ends of the country Khyson." I shook my head, folding the letter and placing it back inside the envelope.

"I don't want us to be like that, I thought we promised we wouldn't?" His voice made his question almost sound like a plea.

"Those friends who loose contact after Highschool, who never talk again." He stated, keeping his eyes locked with mine.

"You know I don't wanna be like that, but we can't avoid it. You're doing your thing and I'm doing mine, it's the price we'll have to pay." I honestly told him. My head fell, but not by instinct. I dropped my head to hide, hide my weakness. I hated being sad around Khyson, although I found him being the most comfortable person to be sad around.

"Don't cry, please don't cry, Ariya." His words were soft, sending vibrations through the air. He attempted to speak in the most delicate way possible, almost as if he spoke any louder I would break.

I stayed silent, waiting for him to speak again.

It was late, we always hung out when it was late. I always either had to care for my brothers, or Khyson had to work, or he had a game, or some other crappy excuse.