28

Ariya

I couldn't seem to process the words coming from his lips. It didn't make sense, none of it did. How could he possibly remember me? After all this time? He meant so much to me but I guess I was merely a stranger to him.

A stranger.

"What?" I questioned, tears streaming down my cheeks. My chest rose and fell, burning and burning.

"Ariya, god-I always remembered you, all of it."

"I thought you had forgotten?" He added.

He took a step forward and I kept my feet planted, staring blankly up at him. My breathing hitching with every inhale.

"Why didn't you say anything! Khyson! Please answer me! Please!"

"Ariya, look at me." He cupped my cheeks and I nodded quickly.

"I remember all of it, I remember when we met in the fourth grade, I remember when you stuck up for me, I remember when I snuck into your room every night when your brothers were camp, I know you, everything about you, I know you love the colour purple, I know you love binging the office, I know when you sleep you always twist and turn in the night, I know that you love waking up early, I know that you had no idea how you wanted to live life, I know that because I remembered."

I was happy, so happy. But the feeling of euphoria hazed my judgment, judgment of reality.

"Khyson, I remember too, I remember when you snuck in, in remember when you comforted me, I remember when you held me. I know you have dimples, I know you like going on late night walks, I know you hate math but love science, I know you wanted to run your own enterprise, look at you, Khyson.. you did it." I softly shrugged my shoulder right before he embraced me.

I rested my head on his chest, embracing myself within him. He felt the same, he smelt the same, he was my Khyson. The same kid from all
those years ago.

"I missed you so much, Khyson."

"Missed you too, Ariya."

I backed away from him and sniffed back.

I unbuttoned the middle of my dress and showcased the skin just underneath my breast.

A small tattoo of the outline of a heart.

"Khyson?"

His hand reached forward and his fingertips grazed the skin of the tattoo.

He then proceeded to unbutton his button up and showed the same tattoo on the right side of his torso.

"You kept it." My voice echoed throughout the large office. I bent my head upwards to look at him.

"Rylan." He spoke, the words flowing past his lips so freely.

What!?

"What?"

"Rylan, Ariya. Your son? Was I that important?"

"Yeah, you are that important." I teased him with rosy cheeks. I lifted my hands and cupped his cheeks, grazing my fingers against his stubble.