57.

Ariya

Maybe it was the adrenaline, or the fact that the taxi was moving the opposite direction of his house and I watched as the house I knew for years began to blur through the reflection on the window.

"Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International?" The rather young man behind the wheel asked me.

"Yes please." I whispered, hoping he would hear me.

My fingers casted over the necklace on my neck.

"I don't wanna go." Rylan plead with a frown.

"It's just for a bit until mama comes back, okay?" I ran a soothing hand over his head and he nodded.

"I love you." He said with his arms around my neck and my body bent down to his level.

"I love you more."

"I love you more." He fought back.

"Nuh, uh." I shook my head with a smile.

"uh, huh." He agreed while nodding with a strong smile.

"Just for today, okay?" I told him. He jumped ip with excitement and I smiled to myself.

Last night I let Rylan sleep with me, we made breakfast together, I walked him into School together, picked him up during lunch and look him out to eat. I pondered what would happen between Khyson and I. I knew he wouldn't take Rylan from me, but when I went to bed with that thought it started to simmer in my mind, would he?

My life has purpose because of Rylan.

"Come on, Rylan. Our date awaits." Amara wiggled her arm at him before his detached from mine and attached to hers. I cleared my throat and handed him his small backpack.

"Be good for Amara, okay." I nodded, knowing my face looked stressed, Amara could see it.

"He always is, right?" She asked.

"Yeah!" She patted his back and he ran into the apartment. She held the door in her right hand and smiled at me.

"You got this." She kissed my cheek before closing the door. I stood there unmoving for a bit until I realized I had to move at some point. I told him to come by at seven, it was only six thirty. I gave myself some time to regain some consciousness.

I cleaned the kitchen counters and folded the throws on the couch. Making mine and Rylan's bed up. I picked up some of his toys that had been laying on the ground.

I was pulling some socks on when there was a knock on the door. My foot fell to the ground and I stumbled down to fix my half on sock. My hand gripped the frame of Rylan's room.

Deep breaths.

Trotting over to the door I took my time and unlocked the deadbolts, my hands so sweaty and shaky. The moment the door opened I hid my hands behind myself.

"Hey." He smiled.

"Hey." I nodded back.

He awkwardly leaned forward, wrapping his right arm, well my right, his left around my shoulder and pressing his lips to the warm skin of my cheek.