24.

Ariya

"So, what's on the list this year?"

"I don't know yet?" Rylan shrugged and I smiled.

"How about you get your list in by the end of the day and then I can mail it tomorrow, Hm?"

"Okay!"

Rylan never asked for much and that made me feel bad. I always urged him to ask for more but he never would.

Rylan and I began making our way down to the car and got inside. It was very snowy to say the least.

After I dropped Rylan off I parked in my spot in the garage and walked into the building.

Kameron had been waiting by the elevator for me before we stepped in together.

"How's the nose?" He asked.

"Better, Rylan spent almost an hour icing it with me last night as we watched a movie." I sighed, drumming my fingertips against the leather bag.

"That's sweet."

"Mhm."

"Well, after you left Khyson spent an hour sulking."

"What? Why?" I asked, concern lacing my voice.

"He felt bad for hurting you."

It went beyond my mind, why would he care so much. I mean there is a small bruise that is fairly noticeable, and it's a little sore but I'm fine.

The doors opened and I walked across the floor and into my office. Placing my bag down and turning my desktop on.

-

"My neighbours son wants it, I guarantee you Rylan will ask for it." Kameron emphasized as he placed a fry into his mouth.

"That shouldn't be too hard to find? Right?" I asked while stealing one of his fries with a muffled shrug.

"It's only the hottest toy, it'll sell  out in days mark my words. It's like those fairy dolls that sold so much last year." He retorted.

"Oh! I remember those and like the stomach lit up when you fed it."

He placed a fist in front of his mouth to indicate the food in his mouth while nodding.

"What if I can't find it?"

"Please! It's like Jingle All The Way all over again!" He laughed out loud as I tapped his arm.

"I'm serious."

"People buy them bulk and sell them for more, if you're that desperate just go online." He shrugged and I agreed.

"So you visiting your parents for Christmas?" Kameron asked innocently.

There was a long pause and I scrambled my mind for a seemingly normal answer that wouldn't make me sound like a outsider.

"No, my brothers are coming over though." I nodded with a smile upon my lips.

"That's nice, after my parents met Amara last year they're begging us to come back, but hey! Who doesn't love some free home cooked meals?"

"You know we don't have enough for a turkey, Jordan." I told him with a curve on my lips.

It broke my heart seeing him sad.

"Yeah, home cooked meals are the best."

-

"Did you finish your list?" I asked Rylan with a smile.

"Yes! Here, don't open it!" He scolded me.

"Okay, go the bed I'll mail it tomorrow."

"Promise?"

"Pinky promise."

I kissed his forehead and said a quick "I love you" before walking out.

I switched off the lights in the kitchen and hallway before pushing the door of my room open. I pulled my lamp on got under the covers.

Gently removing the sticker on the envelope easily enough so I could place it back on. I pulled the piece of paper out and unfolded it.

Dear Santa,

It is Rylan and I been very good this year. I helped mama ice her nose yesterday and fold the clothes last week. My teacher tells me that I am really smart and I help Julie a lot too. For Christmas I want the new hot wheels car with the remote and headlights. I know toys cost a lot and mama can't always buy them so it's okay if I don't get it. But I always hear her crying and it makes me sad, I also wish for Christmas she could be happy and we can be happy together. Shes working really hard these months and she makes herself too tired.

Also Santa I asked mama about my dad and she didn't say a lot. I know mama has a lot of stuff to do and she works a lot but I wish my dad would come back. I don't know if you can give me that. I love mama and she will always be my best mama but I want to meet my dad.

I hope I did not ask for too much.

From, Rylan Johnson

P.S it's totally okay if I don't get these things just please make mama happy. :)

I hadn't realized until my eyes skimmed over the smiley face that I was crying.

I placed the paper down on my lap and wiped my cheeks. The burn in my chest helped the pound in my chest bang against my rib cage.

We was so sincere.

He was so soft.

He was mine, I don't deserve him.

I love him.