30

| Old enough to understand |
| - Pluto Projector |

| Will you talk to me again? |
| But I really shouldn't stay |
- Vas

Ariya

"Oh shit." Kameron cursed.

"Your mother?" William asked.

I braced my hand on the table and pushed forward so my chair slid back, whipping my napkin off my lap and storming toward the door.

There she was, her clothes seemed worn, her hair tousled in a mess.

"You're not welcome here. You need to leave." I gripped the frame of the door and seethed my opinion into her ears.

The door was visible from the table so they had all been able to see what was going on.

"Ariya, it's Christmas I deserve to be welcomed here."

"Nobody wants you here."

"Aww, Zion my baby come here." I whipped my head around to see Zion, Mikah and Jordan all stood up.

Zion had always been the one connected to her the most. Albeit, I had the most memories with her, his were when he was younger, his were happier. I had the most memory of her so I knew what she like, I knew her.

I could see the tears pooling in his eyes as she eyed me with sorrow.

I attempted to hold back my tears and shook my head.

She put me through so much pain, and it still affected me today. My lungs hurt, my eyes burned and my bones ached.

I finally had what I wanted, a family to spend Christmas with. My son was happy and I was too.

"Zion." I whispered.

"Mom." He whispered.

"She is not your mother, Zion!"

I whipped my body back around to stare back at her.

"It's cold, I'm hungry. You can't leave me out here to starve, Ariya." She pleaded.

"You left us to starve! You didn't seem to care when we were alone so why should I!?" She stared at me blankly and I heard some low sobs before turning around. I saw Rylan as he gripped the back of his chair watching me.

I walked up to him and cupped his cheeks.

"You know you're not welcome here." Mikah said behind behind me as I cooed Rylan.

"My son, that's very disrespectful. Turning me away on Jesus's birthday."

"You have a son?" She quickly noticed.

I picked up Rylan in my arms, ignoring her as he sobbed into my shoulder. Rubbing his back with soft circles.

"Ariya, she's cold, hungry.. it's Christmas. It's not like we don't have enough food for her." Zion said.

"Yeah, come on, Riya baby. I haven eaten in two days."  

I heard Kameron gasp before Amara slapped his arm.