1-Racing Thoughts/Should Know Better

((Cara on the side or above, she is Kyra's younger sister))

-Kyra's POV-

"Come on, come on, come on.." I spoke quietly to myself as I watched the traffic in front of me move forward the smallest amount. I sighed as I realised that I would be stuck here for quite some time, which would mean that I would be late home. My heart jumped as the sound of car horns filled the packed streets, meaning people around me were annoyed by the lack of movement.

I looked down at the plastic bag in the passenger seat that contained the many tubs of concealer and various bandages that I would need for the next few days. I sighed and took a deep breath as I realised that I would need to think of a damn good excuse for not being home on time. I bit my lip as I watched the clock on my dashboard turn from 4:59pm to 5:00pm, meaning that Daniel would be home any minute now.

In and amongst all of my racing thoughts, I somehow remembered that tomorrow was Saturday the 30th- the day that Cara has been waiting for since the start of the year. Tomorrow is the day that Cara's favourite band, 5 Seconds of Summer, are having a meet and greet and as an early birthday present, I thought I'd take her along since she was absolutely obsessed with the four aussies.

I cheered mentally as the cars in front of me begin to move more than a pathetic few inches and I felt like I wanted to threw a damn party as I spotted the exit I wanted, which would take me back to the house. As soon as I parked in the driveway, I rush out of the car and run up to the front door, completely forgetting about locking the car in my desperate attempt to get some form of food out on the table before my boyfriend returns home. I quickly rush into the bathroom and hide what I had brought from the shops in various places so Daniel wouldn't see them or find out. once I had done that, I practically ran to the kitchen but stopped dead in my tracks as I realised that I had forgotten what Daniel wanted for dinner. fuck..

I jump at the sound of keys rattling on the other side of the locked front door, I gulp as I know that Daniel isn't going to be too happy with me.

"Kyra! come here!" I rush over to the dining room; where Cara's hushed voice was coming from. I walk in to see three plates neatly set at three of the spaces at the table, all with a piece of steak and a handful of homemade chips on. I smile slightly and quickly motion for Cara to sit down, as did I.

Within seconds, Daniel enters the dining room and takes in the food neatly laid out across the table. He walks towards me and kisses me on the forehead and smiles slightly, but it's gone quicker than it appeared- so I guessed that he wasn't in a good mood. He looks over at Cara and she keeps from giving him a dirty look and settles for a clearly fake small smile. I anxiously bite my lip as I watch Daniel nod his head towards her, meaning he acknowledged her presence- something very rare. Daniel starts talking about his hard day at work but I wasn't focusing on what he was saying, I was more focused on not stepping out of line in any way, knowing that I'd definitely get a slap or two if I did.

I was obviously trying way too hard, so much so, that Daniel had realised my lack of attention on him and his conversation because the next thing I knew, a hard thump echoed through the house as Daniel's hand came in contact with the glass of the dining table. I froze and didn't dare to breathe as the harsh dark eyes belonging to my boyfriend stared at me, awaiting an answer to a question that wasn't asked.

"Kyra, are you listening, sweetheart?" I freeze at Daniels tone, his voice causing a shiver to run down my spine. Cara just watches, she tenses slightly at the sight of his clenched fist, his knuckles becoming white. I slowly move my gaze from my untouched plate of food and up to my boyfriend, who didn't look happy in the slightest. I breathe in deeply and silently pray that this wouldn't lead to a beating. Daniel's head snaps towards Cara as she coughs, she doesn't move a muscle and seems unfazed by his stare. They just stare at each other for a few seconds, mentally telling each other that they both weren't backing down. I silently hoped that this whole situation wouldn't end badly for Cara as I watched the two.

"What are you staring at, bitch?" Daniel spoke loudly, his voice cold. Cara remained silent and her eyes stayed just as harsh.

"You better stop staring at me." I shrunk down into my seat as Daniel stood up abruptly and slowly made his way around the table, one step at a time, his eyes fixed on Cara the entire time.

"Daniel." I warn him slightly, he turns and looks at me. I flinch and instantly regret talking to him at all.

"She's pissing me off and being a fucking little bitch! I told her to stop, but did she? No!" He raised his voice, turning back to look at Cara.

"She's 15!" I stood up and brought Cara up with me, directing her over to the door with my hands. Cara followed my order but stayed standing close to the door, not leaving like I had instructed her to.

"She should know better by now than to mess with me." I swallowed the lump in my throat but continued to stand as tall as I could under Daniel's gaze.

"I'm not scared of you Daniel." Cara spoke for the first time since Daniel came home, no fear in her voice whatsoever. I gave her the look but she sent one back, telling me that she knew what she was doing. She was trying to provoke him, get a rise out of him, see if he would actually hurt her and we both knew that he would react and there wasn't anything we could do, he was stronger than both of us. I then noticed her phone that was clutched in her hand and mostly covered by her jacket sleeve, she was calling someone but I wasn't able to see who it was.

"You should be, blondie." he warned harshly as he took one step towards her, I looked to my sister to see that she standing firmly in place, no trace of fear in her eyes at all.

"Daniel, don't you d-" I started, but was quickly interrupted by Cara.

"Try me." was all she said before she threw her phone to me and stood her ground. Just as i caught it, it slips from my grip and lands on the floor, smashing the screen to pieces. Cara took one look at it and breathed heavily, telling me she was pissed off but she then looked at me and smiled slightly, telling me not to worry.

"Go on, Attack me, hurt me like you hurt my sister! Come on Daniel, that bad guy is somewhere inside you! I'm not gunna let you beat my sister like she's a damn punch bag! Not again! Not ever! She has done nothing but love you, despite what I say! She is too in love to see the monster you really are! I've seen what you're like and I'm not afraid to say that you disgust me, do you get a kick out of it? Does it make you feel powerful?!" She shouted with a harsh and bitter tone.

It all happened in slow motion. Daniel growled under his breath and quickly picked up a plate from the table and threw it, aiming for Cara's face. Luckily, she ducked and moved quickly so she was unharmed, the plate came in contact with the wall and smashed into sharp pieces all over the floor. Cara laughed sarcastically, mocking him. The anger on Daniel's face only grew, he charged straight for her with a fist in the air but he didn't get very far because I tripped him up and as he wasn't expecting it, He couldn't save himself before he fell and hit the wall, directly beside Cara. We stood there silently to see if he would make any sudden movements towards either of us. After around ten seconds, I ran to Cara, hugging her immediately before pulling away and checking her for any blood or cuts- luckily she was fine.

"Come on, we're getting out of here." I stated quietly, scared that Daniel could hear me. Cara nodded and motioned to the cupboard under the stairs, where I knew that our pre-packed bags were hidden. I nodded and watched as Cara hurried over to the cupboard to retrieve them and the spare money I had been saving up. Once Cara returned to my side and we were both as prepared as we possibly could be, we both took one more look at my still-unconscious boyfriend before quickly hurrying over to the front door and out into the street.