Twenty Eight

07:30am
Date: April 27th, 2018
Location: Greendale, Oregon

Sloane Davenport

With my full attention facing the open entry in the kitchen, I'm stunned to see the figure pry their open eyes on me. Even though I'm covered from my upper half, I feel embarrassed as I'm naked from my legs down. Hopefully, the window's shine blinds them so that they can't see what's exposed under.

For sure I thought Harry would be awake as soon as I got up, but it looks like I've got company this morning. His dark brown eyes are laid on me like a wild animal being hunted. I suddenly feel like a child caught reaching for the cookie jar late at night but I couldn't remember the last time I was stunned by a stranger other than my enemies.

Keeping my guard down is the one thing I lack when it comes undivided attention.

We keep a continuous stare, waiting for a pin to drop or for one of us to say something. But for obvious reasons we're complete ghosts facing in front of each other.

His hair is a bit lighter than Harry's, dirty blonde and a bit more curlier which is a natural look. The facial hair on upper lip and chin are a dark shade, almost like he hasn't shaven in a while. He's also got a couple of tattoos spotted on his skin, even on the left side of his face.

He purses his lips together, halting his whistle to an end as he tilts his head to one side. It's obvious that he's now keenly interested in me. Well, my lower half to be exact. My face is now flushed with stupidity written all over it.

"Now, who might you be?" He asks.

Putting the glass down, I move a tiny step back, as my ass touches the edge of the granite. "I was about to ask you the same thing."

He chuckles softly as he fiddles with a small brown joint in his fingers. "I believe we haven't met before, seeing that you are an intruder in my house." He walks closer to me, giving his free hand for a shake. "I'm Carter Mason, Harry's roommate."

Taking his palm, I shake it gently and politely smile. "I'm Sloane."

He raises his eyebrows in surprise. "Ohhh. So how long have you and Harry been hooking up?" I let go of his hand and grip the edge of the counter.

"Um, we actually..uh we've been together for at least a few weeks now." I seriously have the need to smash this glass cup in front of my forehead so I can loosen the feeling of second hand embarrassment right now.

Carter cocks his head to the side again, confused at my previous statement. "Oh. So you guys are like dating right?"

The word dating hasn't really stuck to me ever since I've met Harry and we don't actually speak about it a lot because well, most people assume we are together. It's just awkward how we state what our current position is, but for obvious reasons Harry and I never come together and discuss it.

"It's uh..it's kinda.." I search for words to find the answer in front of him.

"Complicated?" He fills in the gap.

"Yeah, something like that.." I mutter. I run my fingers through my hair again, staring down to my legs as I cross them over to invisibly shield me from Carter's laser eyes. I feel more embarrassed at this point.

If this were a CASTA mission, I definitely would've peed myself.

"Couldn't blame you. Complicated is what makes Harry so tough to love. It's a revolving pattern, especially his last one." He nonchalantly goes to the fridge door and opens it up, grabbing a carton of orange juice.

"Wait, his last one?" I know Harry doesn't really open up his love life to me, but I forgot to mention whether he had past exes before he met me.

Grabbing a cup, he immediately stops his actions and turns to face me again. "He did mention that he used to love someone before...oh wait.." His teeth grit in a tricky smile. "You guys haven't had the awkward ex-girlfriend, boyfriend talk yet?"