Fourty-Eight

15:38pm (3:38pm)
Date: May 10th, 2018
Location: Unknown

33 hours left..

Sloane Davenport

I can feel the grip of my hand beginning to fatigue. I've taken precaution of sharpening my knife over 50 counts with the whetstone outside the yard. But sundown hasn't set in yet, meaning I've taken almost my entire day preparing for tomorrow.

But I never want to miss the sunset ever.

Standing up from my seated position, I set my tools down on the wooden table and walk back inside the safe house.

It's taken me a while to settle from moving all over the place, but I don't think my mind will ever find peace in new areas that I can't call home.

Uncle James gave me the set of keys as he settled in the other safe houses far from here. It hurts me more knowing this take down is going to be harder without any help by my side.

Loneliness has always been my company. And it will never change.

I walk towards the fireplace, burning with bright ember flames and the wood turning darker. Placing my hands to receive the incoming warmth, I was summoned by the quickest incoming memory.

Not when I was enjoying the winter time when snow hit early. But a little more saddening in times when I had nothing but therapy to attend to.

...

*4 years earlier*

"Did you do what I asked you to do?"

Mariela's voice holds me back from losing my attention to her. I've been staring at the fireplace, with my head empty into the orange glow.

"When do I not?" I ask sarcastically.

She chuckles. "Well I see you've taken another chance at talking again. There's some progress you haven't lost." She tries to show happiness in what is now my 10th therapy session with her.

At least I don't have to pay the cost of which most people have to with an arm and a leg.

I fiddle with the sleeves of my sweater in order to play with my anxiousness. "I don't think progress is used by now."

"I assume you haven't? I was hoping you at least did to my pleasure today."

She seems almost sad, but she really does show her empathy in most sessions.

I sigh, shuffling the thing that's been itching under my ass the moment I sat down on the suede couch. It's not fully enclosed but sealed together in a white envelope.

I take it out, waving it to her as I hold it between my fingers. "Did it. So what now?"

Mariela's smile is almost disappointing, but she knows I'm going to hate her for what she has to say next. "Well, I believe there's two parts to this."

I lift an eyebrow. "Which is?"

"I need to hear what you wrote. Just to see how much you've confided all your thoughts you've been wanting to say out loud but couldn't. And it's alright if you can't make it through the end. Some things are better left where they are so whenever you're ready.."

She gestures to me to lead with her hand and I nod my head to the side.

"This is going to be stupid." I say.

"Remember what I said back in our first session?" She recalls and so do I.

Never be hard on yourself because you're trying to grow without hating the process.