Fourty Four

06:55am
Date: May 9th 2018
Location: Greendale, Oregon

3 days and 18 hours left...

There are more than a hundred  different methods to killing the cat and yet I seem to be in the same position like I always do. Find the target, get them and kill them off like a chore list.

This chore list isn't just that simple as it used to be these days.

I've been holding the team off a bit until I get my head turned straight and my emotions switched off. It's battle what goes off in there, whether it gotten me where I am right now or just the big bomb that dropped within seconds.

My life will be a ticking time bomb by the next hour or so.

"There's no trace in the house or from what I'm getting inside. One car is missing tho but the other vehicles are still on the driveway." Cory's voice interludes my thoughts.

"So can you bypass the system as we get in there?" I ask.

"Definitely. Getting into the security system looks challenging but should be easy with the new chip I installed to the main software on this baby." He softly pats the laptop as he turns to face me.

Devon's been awfully quiet. Not sure if it's just the awkward situation that happened back there or that I now know what's going with my friends. Jordana just busies herself with the weapons, locking in a round of bullets to each gun she takes.

We sit in the van, parked in the street that turns right before getting to town. The logos have been disguised as an air conditioning repair company with colors plastered.

"What's the plan? Just go in when the security system is down and do a full on search?" Jordana perks up, interrupting the silence.

"We need to see if the Lyses kid is remaining under the house. We can't just assume he went with the target to go to their headquarters and not find any hard evidence that he's living there."

"How will we find out?"

"Fingerprints, another set of blood samples, anything that gets us closer to taking down Lyses. We'll also need to see if those people living there are hiding any good weapons for SIDD."

"Can't we just go in now?" Devon abrupts, eager to get out of the van.

"Cory, is everything clear in there? No one in and the system down on your mark?"

Eyes glued to the screen, fingers typing on the keyboard and a bunch of green codes scrolling down are all what we are waiting for. A small sound pings from the system, with a green light flashing the middle of Cory's eyes.

"You guys are in. Make it fast though before your target comes back. I'll stay here with the car ready to roll."

A sigh of relief hits my chest.

"Thanks, Cory, you're the best."

"I know." He smirks.

"Alright let's head in." I latch onto the door handle from the back of the van, as daylight is about to rise from behind. Devon and Jordana follow my lead, our backpacks filled with our equipment and sunglasses covering our eyes.

We walk together in a line, turning left as the street leads into the cul de sac of houses. Everything is silent, a flock of birds soar out a tree and to the rising sun. A small warm chill of the early spring hits my face. I tend to look straight at my assignment right in front, just less than a thousand feet away from me.

The house sits with the shutters closed, the shadows covering every inch. It's almost strange that I'm breaking into a house that I've practically been to almost every time. Except I'm no longer a welcome visitor here anymore.