Fifty Three

23: 39pm (11:39pm)
Date: May 11th 2018
Location: Belle Fiore Winery

21 minutes remaining...

Harry Styles

We stand on opposing sides.

She has my most prized gun, saved by the one occasion I needed to use for my likelihood of survival.

I face her, strapping the long black AR all the way so that my eyes can see straight towards her face. Blood is stained on her, but it doesn't let her affect the way she can still perform. A deep cut runs to the corner of her lip against the soft pink shade of her lipstick.

But her eyes say something different. They are deep dark pupils, shadowed by the darkness. What I missed most was seeing that amber brown shine like it used to.

Right in the light.

I stare at her, hard enough to push what I'm trying to feel for this girl.

Every time I see those eyes, I'm automatically thinking why out of all people..did she have to be the one?

Sloane knew how to blend in, become darker than her own enemies combined. Her schemes and  hatred could never be pinned on a girl who practically lost everything just to lose it again. She knew how much she bottled all her emotions which were released by something so triggering, she never let down her guard ever again.

She lived a duplicitous life. Only to be ruined by mine.

We were trained differently, but were made to destroy each other.

Neither of us said a word only to pull the trigger.  She and I stand within a few feet apart, guns raised at each other's head -the only part you can kill your worst enemy knowing they'll never haunt you again.

But the one thing they never trained you on doing takeouts is the most unlikely and inhumane trait of them all.

That's what I saw in myself tonight.

I already lost someone just by doing this and to think I could do it again to the person standing with my own gun directed to me...I started to wonder how I ended up here.

Because it was all her. Her parents. Her agency. Her small fucked up town.

Those soft amber eyes tell me something. I stare at Sloane, picturing the last moment I'll ever have with her. There's not many people like her that I have to kill for a living. Killing her means I lose myself too. I have too many regrets to count..but she will be the one that I will end up torturing myself over and over.

She deserves to live. Not me.

And she's much better off without me living in her life.

I lower the AR down from my eye level. She furrowed her eyebrows like she always does when she's confused.

I shake my head but continue to stare at her face. Even in the dark, those shadows could never hide beauty.

"Just do it, Sloane."

She doesn't say anything, only to be taken by my words.

"No!" She pushes the gun forward to my face. "C'mon you do it Harry!"

I don't budge as my shoulders drop; the AR no longer aimed to her forehead. The temptation is there but I resist it.

Sloane's eyes waver, her teeth gritting hard as they push down. She's fighting her feelings and I could tell. There's a part of her that is still there from the first day I bumped into her. My feelings aside from my thoughts are fighting another war, but I've conceded to them to draw their weapons like mine.