Thirty Eight

A/N: This is part ONE of the double update! I hope y'all are enjoying it so far ;)

xo.

13:11pm (1:11pm)
Date: May 7th, 2018
Location: Mojave Desert

Sloane Davenport

The desert unlike most places is one environment that will test you.

Survival is the first thing, analyzing the endurance before death comes crawling up your skin. By the first time I ever stepped on the dry, cracked grounds of the west coast it showed me something else.

There are also predators; creatures that will lurk day and night just to get a taste of blood.

Your enemies.

It's a dog eat dog world, with little outside connection and the only focus is staying alive. Unless your other important task is hiding out in a broken shed house on top of a mountain and looking at a small trailer park through a binoculars waiting for the fish to swim out.

Hayden Benz has not moved nor took a single foot out of his trailer, where he's supposedly hiding.

It's the small silver one with a striped umbrella attached to the side with a lawn chair sitting across similar RVs that are in close range. By the time he's out into the air, he's a dead man walking.

Sweat beads are multiplying by the minute as hot air blows within my hideout. I'm no longer in my usual all-black outfit, but switched to a more terrain colored uniform and a pair of aviator sunglasses.

It's also a good opportunity to wear a tank top in this weather. I'm not sure how long it will take me before it becomes dark.

"Davenport, do you copy?" The voice inside my right ear hums as I take my binoculars away from my natural eyesight. It's Cory, who's guiding me from headquarters.

I press on my earpiece to talk back. "Yes, suspect is still in his cage, hasn't moved in 4 hours ago."

"Well the dude's gotta get out somehow. Are the detonators still running?"

I look over to my CASTA laptop, where a screen of the high frequencies and tracking locations are set up. There's a timer set up so when they do blow, it'll give a distraction to capture him before SIDD does.

"Yes, and I'm losing my patience waiting for a sitting duck in his dumb van." I say.

"Relax Slo, I'm tracking everything that's coming into the area. SIDD will eventually show up before they set foot to get the guy, so you just set off the detonators and I'll give you the go signal, alright?"

"Alright. But if I screw up because of you this time-"

"Woah, woah, last time was an accident, okay!" He defends himself, recalling the moment of leaving me stranded at my high school's computer lab trying to retrieve the data files.

"Just admit it that you were fucking someone alright." I say.

"Hey, I was not! Stop lollygagging and just keep watch."

His voice is more agitated, but I let out a grin only for me to show. So far, Cory and the team have been the only ones I've made contact with. Devon's been MIA for the rest of the day but I miss having her around.

The team that's carrying me is stationed not too far from here, but is crucial when I have to capture Benz and load him up into the station wagon. They were a big help putting up the detonators around the area and the sensor beamer whenever an intruder was coming. They were also kind enough to let me borrow their latest weapons which had me more excited than anything else.